mark135

Azimuth

I was looking at the azimuth basically because it is the same as a bonehead for less money or so i have been told.
However if you do the exchange rate it comes up to almost $740. Is this right?

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

I am sorry but the leading contenders in top mounts are way over engineered and as such are way out of line in cost.

composite lighter than fibreglass?

well they are bieng clever there. composite mat is lighter than fibreglass mat however once the resins are added fibreglass is lighter.

"Ingenius heat forming foam"?

Hardly. I work at a foam company. I can get you all you want at a low price.

What are you looking for?

A stable platform capable of doubling as a crash helmet? or a stable paltform that is durable unless you throw the damn thing around or drop it from 100 feet.

Cost of R&D vs # of sales and/or cost of material as reason for high cost?

Over engineered. composites are expensive and unecsasary

Build my own and find out how hard it is?

Ok. I have the guide for building a ccm and have developed a design for a mold.

Not that tough. just do what everyone else does and reverse engineer an existing helmet, change a few things to get away from the patent and bingo your in buisness. everyone is doing it. look at all the helmets out there competing for a small market. You simply cannot get enough market share to reduce your margin.

Problem is I am just too damn lazy to make my own:)so are most people. thats why they can sell helmets at $700.

End rant and rave.

I agree with you there, I used a protec for years with a mount I made in a machine shop.

But I will also say that when I did get a "real helmet"
I got a hanson fullface you custom mold (add the foam yourself) and I made about 10 jumps with it and found that at times it was almost impossible to get it off on the ground and it had no cutaway, so I got rid of it ASAP for what I had in it and got a FTP.

I really love the FTP for a lot of reasons. (I didn't need to bake it) while the cost is one reason I waited for a long time to buy a helmet and hated to drop that kind of cash.

I found it worth the money after I got it and it was a write off, well built, nice cutaway, great CS, custom paint for free as well (I got a deal) at the time the price was lower.

And it was the best thing to hit the market in a long time at the time.
A lot of real estate for my toys, very stable in FF with a lot mounted on it and just more professional looking, after some of the ragtag ghetto crap we had in the early years, and way cheaper then a Wes Rich helmet.

If your going to do a lot film work it is a good investment and a good product and American made too.

While you may feel the same as I did about the cost I think you will find you like it and not regret getting one, with all the money in cameras today why be a tight ass when it comes to a platform to mount them.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to spend the going rate again, but if I needed a camera helmet I would get one again, I would even look at the Azimuth as well, but what ever one was the best buy would be the one I would get, but after looking at the cutaway on the Azimuth, I would get a FTP but that is my opinion.

You always could get a used one for a few hundred less if you can find one, seeing how there hard to find used I think that says a lot about the product over all.

Good luck and I hope you find something you like and can justify the money for, try pricing a Wes Rich helmet and see what that will set you back.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I like the FTP's cutway better, it's on the inside and looks cleaner then this one.

The cutaway has been updated from the one displayed on their website...it is now internal. I'll try to post pics tonight if I can, my internet connection is a little sketchy while I'm on the road.
Miami

I like the FTP's cutway better, it's on the inside and looks cleaner then this one.

The cutaway has been updated from the one displayed on their website...it is now internal. I'll try to post pics tonight if I can, my internet connection is a little sketchy while I'm on the road.

I would also be interested in seeing the new version. the external cutaway was one of the only hangups i had about the azimuth also.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I hear ya Stratostar. I am not saying the ftp and or the Azimuth isn't a good helmet .. they are.

money for skydiving equipment is low on the list of priorties. thats why I grumble about the price of a helmet.

Shit, it took 7 years before I broke down and bought cyppres's for my wife and I.

I know what a Wes Rich goes for. I have his instuctional cd for making one. building a generic helmet and custom fitting the foam padding is a hell of a lot easeir. but i still might break down and do the work to make a wes rich design.

A while back I tried to get some feedback from people that use one. I know Hathaway uses one. but didnt get a response from anyone.

I am more interested in getting somthing for my wife. she does the majority of the video at the dz and is still using a protec. I dont get to do as much video anymore since I started tossing drouges. I am using an old Hanson that has been modified here and there. no cutaway but that never bothered me.

now between the new digital still, putting togather a second rig for my wife and flying lessons, well, Not much left over for a helmet. gotta save money for Rantoul ya know!

Buddy bought a ftp that had been accidently cut away and cracked for a very low price. fine helmet still 100% usable.

Speaking of cutaways. seems I know a lot more people that have had thousands of dollars worth of gear destroyed by cutaway systems than I know have saved thier life with one.

I know what a Wes Rich goes for. I have his instuctional cd for making one. building a generic helmet and custom fitting the foam padding is a hell of a lot easeir. but i still might break down and do the work to make a wes rich design.

A while back I tried to get some feedback from people that use one. I know Hathaway uses one. but didnt get a response from anyone.

His username on here is "tonyhathaway" and he has posted feedback on the helmet, on these very forums. CLICK There aren't a LOT of people using them so I guess feedback is harder to find. I am going to try to build myself one soon.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com