goobersnuftda

Question on buying PRO video still shots

My question pertains to purchasing video stills from real professional photographers at organized boogies.

The load organizers use the video for the jump debreif but most camera men usually wear a still for extra income. My question is:

Do you always have to buy the print from the photographer or do they allow you to buy the .JPG and get your own printing done?

The one shot I want, there is no way they will email me the .JPG I must purchase the size print I want, then have it mail it from Europe to North America in a rolled up tube. I would much rather have the actual file so I can go and get what I want done myself at a print/photo business like getting a dry mounted picture on a hard back. Not too keen on a flexi poster mounted to something else.

I realize that this is a source of income for them but what if you want to go hog wild and get the T-Shirt, mouse pad, coffee mug and the 2foot x 4foot poster. Seems like a lot of hassle and a huge expense to have someone else do all the work for you and charge you for it.

I'm just wondering how other DZ and professional photographers handle selling their photos. Our DZ will sell you a completed print or burn them at 100% resolution on a CD for you.

You have to realize that if someone sells you the jpg they will potentially lose all the other income they could've gotten from that pic because you now have the original and can distribute it yourself.

The value of such a jpg can be pretty low (regular shots from a tandem jump, AFF jump, FS4, etc) or be very high (world record shot, complete formation at a big boogie, other special shots). I suppose if you are willing to pay a couple thousand dollars you might be able to buy the original jpg ;)

The camera flyer puts a lot of work, time and money in, it's his right to make as much money of his/her pics as the market will allow. If you want the whole coffee mug stuff you'll just have to pay for it. If you think it's too expensive, then don't.

But don't expect to get the originals of top shots because you aren't willing to spend so much money on it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It depends on the photographer.

At one extreme, the big names like Norman kent and Mike McGowan will rarely, if ever, sell high resolution images. If they do, they'll be pretty expensive.

At the other end of the spectrum is someone like me. I often sell high resolution digital copies of the stills that I take. I do add my name and website to the bottom portion of the photo - like this: http://www.skydiveradio.com/pic_of_week/POTW5.jpg.

Personally, I sell the digital image for the same price as an 8X10 print. If someone is going to print the picture I'd rather it be me.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

dzmemories..offers any image burned to cd for $5 per picture.
5 pictures=$25
1 picture =$5
image size varies from 3gb JPEG to 10.3gb RAW
many folks like to use them for screen savers or print there own.

we also print on scene using an epsom R1800
and photoshop every print before printing
in addition to internet sales

We will print or burn outher outher video folks work for them on scene and split the proffet but can not up load there pictures to the websight

we are fully self contained ,so when we do a boogie all we need is a 110volt outlet.

hope this helps answer you question

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

Sasha hit on a few of the reasons. A few other reasons you'll probally never get the raw JPG is because if you send the file to a friend to print that has now killed 2 sources of income for the videographer. At some place like Rantoul or the Herc boogie where you film a 20 way and 4 people want the pic, if you sell the jpg and they send it out then you've lost 3 sales. On larger formations/records the potential loss of income only goes up if you start sending out the JPG file and not getting people to buy the prints.

I can get 8*10 prints and the cost of postage at my suppier's price. With postage its only about .45 cents more then going to my local photo store and having them print it. Granted, if I would sell a pic I'd build a profit margin in to pay for my camera and jumps. If I was to sell the JPG file its goint to be a lot more then the $15-20 for an 8*10. Probally starting at $50-75 if its a group shot.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks for the response. I didn't think this was going to be a big deal considering the fact that this is a picture of a 16 way team put together at a fun jump boogie. People whom I will probably never see again (Russia). The only people interested in the picture would be the actual people on the jump.

This 3 MB file seems to be so closely guarded, you would think it is the last clue in the DA VINCI CODE or the cover shot on TIME magazine for picture of the year.

True that the market will dictate the selling price for what people are willing to pay. Charge too much and people will say forget it, charge too little and too many people would end up buying your pictures (Walmart Theory) :o

A price of $50 would be fine for a 24x16 print but I just have a feeling that when the price quote comes back, without a second though I will play this:

CLICKY

Thanks for the response. I didn't think this was going to be a big deal considering the fact that this is a picture of a 16 way team put together at a fun jump boogie.

Even so, the photographer doesn't have to sell you the original pic if he doesn't want to of course. I have plenty of experience with pictures ending up in magazines or on websites, even on postcards! without the photographers consent and usually without credits too. The only way to avoid that is avoiding digital images floating around.

Most fun/weekend camera jumpers I know are pretty forthcoming with pictures - I just like to have my chute pack itself for some pics, or a cup of tea at the bar. But I can totally understand "your" photographer too.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I just got a responce and price quote from the photographer.

I am most impressed. They agreed to sell me the JPG but for personal use only. Since it is not some world record attempt or special jump, only the 16 involved would be interested in the picture. It would be so easy to track down who leaked it out.

The price is a bit more than them actually doing the print and mailing it out but I'm OK with that because the price is reasonable for all the crap I want to do with it at home/office.

If the photographer is reading this posting, I wouldn't mind mentioning you because you did a great bangup job.

:)