steveorino

Attention, all you geeks. Premiere software issues or computer issues.

Okay we had a computer that ran our Premiere 6.0 software this summer no problem. Then about 3 months agao it began locking up. We thought it might be lack of RAM or some other computer issue. We upped the RAM to 1 gig -- 40 gig HD - processor is about 2.5. We cleaned it up and reformatted. We tried another software, this time we uploaded Premiere Elements. Same issues -- it freezes up. Not always in the same place, but eventually it will freeze up. We took Elements back off. Defragged and reloaded Premiere 6.0. Locks up almost immediately.

I remind you this thing ran for months on this same computer. What could be the problem? Any ideas?

steveOrino

Are you using a recovery disk or are you doing a full OEM reinstall?

Sometimes they preload a computer but give you a slightly diff recovery disk.

Have you tired installing your programs in different order?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Have you verified that all of the hardware is on Adobe's list of offically compliant hardware for the version you are trying to run? If not its an uphill battle that you will probally lose in the end.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Slight Hijack, does anyone know if premier runs ok on XP 64 bit? i am putting a new system together....

My understanding is that the 64bit AMD chips can run all 32 bit applications, and that the Intel chips that have come out since the 64bit AMDs can too (gotta stay competitive after all). However, if you're thinking of getting a dual core processor with your new system (I recommend it) you will have to do some workaround stuff in order to be able to capture video in any version of Premiere other that 2.0. The workaround is only mildly annoying and basically equates to turning off one of the processor cores for processing Premiere. 2.0, however is specifically designed to take full advantage of the dual core capabilities (speeds up that rendering even more B|).

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Ah right. I was actually not going to get the dual core because i am on PP 1, plus i am a little bit budget limited. I am focussing my money on good ram and hard drive space as well as a high end single core. You sound pretty knowledgeable - i was going to go with AMD (mainly coz i'm fractious and don't like giving my money to market leaders!!) but is intel better in this application??

Thanks

Dave
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I recently bought a new system, for the primary purpose of being able to edit video on it. I chose to go with a dual core, because there's a LOT more power there, and more and more applications are starting to support it. It's the future and I wanted a computer that would last a while. Premiere Pro 1, 1.5, and 2.0 will all work on a dual core system. It's just that 2.0 will definately work the best.

That being said, I went with AMD because as of lately they've been the innovator in 64bit and dual core technology with Intel playing copycat in order to stay competitive. AMD is also a bit cheaper. I ended up with an Athelon X2 3800, bulked up on RAM: 2.5gb, a decent GPU: ATI x1600 Pro 256mb, and a 250gb harddrive. When I need more storage, I will probably get an external HD and plug it into my firewire.

I built my system from scratch, pretty much, and the only real issues I have faced have been as a result of that, none of them were major issues. It's running very smoothly for me at this point. It was a great way to spend a tax refund. B|

It's great to be able to shuffle through video and sequences with ABSOLUTELY no noticeable slowdown in Premiere's abitity to render it. :)

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project