Shoot

Sony DCR-PC1000, CMOS problems or not???

I've read a couple of topics about the PC1000 on dz.com now and seen opinions going from "Great Camera!" to "Can't be used!"

I've got the feeling not everybody seems to know where they talk about and get corrected soon after their post. (not that I know, but at least I don't claim I do :P)
I'm looking for a camera and are confused now about the PC1000.

So, does the PC1000 really have a structural problem with it's CMOS in the skydiving environment?

thanks!

strange thing is that some people think it realy does have a problem. It's not something like comparing two canopies like when guy A likes the flare and guy B doesn't like the flare.
It's a fact. the PC1000 either works or it doesn't.
Can someone explain why some people who use(d) the PC1000 think it does have the floating iris or CMOS problem?

Could it be a setting issue or the use of a certain type of wide angle lens that makes people think it doesn't work?
Could there be more than one version of the PC1000? (european-american for example?)

Can someone explain why some people who use(d) the PC1000 think it does have the floating iris or CMOS problem?

Probably because it can, like many cameras I've seen, lose focus during opening shock (some only during hard openings) for a brief second. The "floating iris" or "3-chip" problem is a very distracting flutter that happens during all of freefall. It was common with the sony trv-900 and 950 3 chip mini dv cameras, and made the freefall footage pretty much useless.
Hope that helps...
Miami

Probably because it can, like many cameras I've seen, lose focus during opening shock (some only during hard openings) for a brief second. The "floating iris" or "3-chip" problem is a very distracting flutter that happens during all of freefall. It was common with the sony trv-900 and 950 3 chip mini dv cameras, and made the freefall footage pretty much useless.
Hope that helps...

So, if I understand correctly, losing focus during opening shock is sometimes mistaken for being the "floating iris problem" and is happening on lots of cameras, including the PC1000, and the distracting flutter during all of freefall isn't happening with the PC1000, right?

(sorry for all my questions, english just aint my 1th language. there's nothing wrong with your explanation;))

My PC1000 has defocused like maybe once or twice on opening due to a firm opening. Ways to prevent this: jump a canopy that opens softly, slow your fall-rate before deploying, don't pull in a track (duh), etc, etc...

If you want to see a video shot enirely with a PC1000 go here: http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=uf5ju

I have never experienced "flutter" at all.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

My Pc 1000 lose focus during opening shock on every jump. (it's pissing me off)>:(>:(
I think this camera is a piece of junk.

That seems abnormal...it could be the case that you just got a bad one. Unless you are trying to film malfunction videos are you really missing that much by losing focus for a second during opening shock?;)
Miami

I have to agree to Shoot.
I've been using my PC-1000 for a while and I haven't seen flutter or focus problem during free fall or openings.
I'm using a safire2 and maybe that helps a little on not having hard openings (...just sometimes with my sloppy packing job).