ove

Firewire 1394b- Sony 105e, drivers and cabel.?

Hello!

Frustration!!!!! Can't get my firewire,l sony 105e combo to work! I have read all the firewire treads here. Using USB gives "Streaming" video.

I have: a new gigabyte GA-
K8nsnxp-939 moteherboard, with a integrated firewire 1394 b(!) slot. This leads to a 6 pin and a nine pin femal slot. Running Windows XP, athlon 64 3,5 ghrz CPU. . My Sony pc 105 e is checked and the firewire works on other pc.

I've tried to use a 6 pin to four pin(Checked the conection...) , cheap, firewire cabel. Turn camera on and of, re-instal, VCR mode, change every option in the camera....Still no connection.

am i missing the correct driver? Wrong cabel, would a 9 pin to 4 pin make any differens, Direct x9 nessesary?

Any good ideas, beside trowing the pc out the window!!!!?[:/]

Ove

BUT the pc doesn't find the camera anyway.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

My PC running Windows XP Pro wouldn't recognize my camera at all with the onboard 1394 ports. Tried everything I could find on the net to fix it, but no luck.:|

I finally got a PCI 1394 add-on card out of desperation and it worked first try. :P For $30, it's probably worth a shot. Good luck with it.

Lance

Well, if you have eliminated the cable and the camera as possible sources of the error that leaves you with either bad or disabled firewire ports on the motherboard or a Windows problem. Are your IEEE1394 ports enabled in the BIOS? Are your ports listed in device manager? Does "msinfo32" list an IRQ assigned to them under hardware resources?

No drivers should be necessary for WinXP btw. If it was a driver issue, when you plug in the camera you'd get the "dingdong" sound and then it would prompt you for an action, i.e. search for drivers, etc.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Hi

If you look at the device manager, does it list IEEE1394 as a component? Has it got a yellow exclamation mark next to it? XP has 1394 support built in, so if the hardware's there and recognised it should work. That said, there's a list of problems with XP SP2 and firewire as long as your arm.

Assuming 1394's listed: Ensure that the camera is plugged in to the power and to the PC before either is switched on, then try powering the PC 1st, then the camera. Also try camera 1st, then PC.

Obvious things like; can you try your camera on a known good PC/a known good camera on your PC.

Apparently (though I haven't done it) it's possible to blow the firewire chips in cameras by having them switched on, and just plugging a 'hot' firewire cable in. I see it done all the time at DZs, of course.

Edited to add - Have a look at this web page which has lots of useful stuff.

John

Thank you all.

Now i've bought a external 1394a card. This is also registrated in the device manager, and ok. The camera now gets the "dv in" symbol when connected , ie cabel and camera should be ok.

BUT then I get troubel with the NVidea WDM video capture (universal).... Not functioning, get a "code 10" message? Can't get it instaled proberly.

Any ideas?
[:/]

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Code 10 is usually a driver problem.

I would try:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro, latest nForce3, and nVidia display drivers
2. Remove ALL nVidia drivers through control panel
3. Boot into safe mode
4. Run Driver Cleaner Pro
5. Reboot
6. Hit cancel when you get the "found new hardware" wizard popups
7. Install nForce3 drivers, reboot
8. Install display drivers, reboot
9. Try again.

This will eliminate nVidia drivers as a possible cause.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080