masher

Gath helmet - Skyhat

A couple of months ago, Mr Gath and his sons came to our DZ to try out a new version of the Gath helmet - the Skyhat.

They've added a side mount to fit a pro dytter/track.

They look quite good, and to my untrained eye, they seem to be quite solid.

I don't know how new/old this news is, but I thought I might let you know about it.

I sent an email to them the other day, asking if it's available yet, and they sent me the attached info.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

skyhat.JPG

Pro Dytter Base Plate & Cover 4.doc

They look quite good, and to my untrained eye, they seem to be quite solid.

I don't think the word "solid" describes a Gath helmet very well. It's a thin piece of plastic. It'll help keep your hair from getting blown around and it'll probably cut down on wind noise a bit... but when that helmet hits soemthing solid, it will protect your head about as well as a cardboard box would.

read some reviews here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gear/review.cgi?ID=137

Chris

I don't think the word "solid" describes a Gath helmet very well

I was actually refering to the audible mount. I know that Gaths aren't the best for actual head protection...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I was actually refering to the audible mount. I know that Gaths aren't the best for actual head protection...

Have you look at Bonehead's Mindwarp?

Yeah, the best protection you can buy for skydiving is actually a Pro-Tec. Too bad people think they're uncool looking.:S

Has anyone tried the slightly-cooler looking Pro-Tec Backcountry? Would need the ski-goggle-holder removed, but looks much better!

http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1066434

Can be had for around US$55...

Dave

Yeah, looks like an old Gath to me...same as mine. About as much use as a chocolate fire guard when it comes to head protection. Comfortable though..
-------------------------------------------------
Woooaaaaaa!!! Woooaaaa!!! I'm gettin' off it!

The changes from the original Gath ($99) include a "Flock" lining, and agoggle retention strap on the back($119). Plus you can have the option of the Dytter protector for just $21.95.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Too bad people think they're uncool looking.

so why does i seem to rember to see a wellknown guy from this forum swooping his canopi whith out a helmet..;);)(or did i rember wrong..)
But yes your rigth,you deside the risk your self,thats why i also jump whith out,while it actualy would be smarter to jump whith(well i doo if i bring my camera:ph34r:)

ohh and nice skyhat..;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

so why does i seem to rember to see a wellknown guy from this forum swooping his canopi whith out a helmet

Shhhhhh...;)

Yeah, I've gotten into the habit of not wearing a helmet on some jumps, I need to break that habit.

Well, if you're going to wear a helmet, atleast get a good one...:S
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had that habit too, and found the coolest thing ever to break it.

http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/2002/standard.htm#Riders%20Rage

Neat-O! You can still feel the wind, and hear the changes in airspeed, but you have *some* protection! I got the Tortise one.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yep, I love those bonehead halfshells...Jay Molensky jumps with the spikeless one...tough looking buckets.

That's interesting, those helmets aren't intended to be used for jumping -- this came from another thread a while back from the creator / owner of bonehead :

"How about I shed a little light on this topic. Chris frisella here, owner of Bonehead composites to express a few thoughts and hopefully clear up the Rider's Rage controversy so we can all go on to more creative tangents.
I can understand how the purpose of this helmet may be confusing since it is advertised with our other helmets primarly used for skydiving, but the clue is in the name. Rider's Rage- points go out to Lisa for picking up on that. You go girl. This is not a sky diving helmet. It is a novelty cruiser helmet for one who wants to look cool as they thunder down on their harley, Indian, etc.
As to helmet certification, this is not a DOT approved helmet. Although this may not be noted on my web site each customer who purchases understands the novelty rating.
You ask ," Why is it advertised with sky diving helmets?"
Bonehead composites is my life and my company, no body elses. As my life changes so too will my company and product line. More points out to those who guessed I bought a motorcycle. Open minds are good tunneled ones are bad. Life is already complicated enough to figure out, don't make it more difficult for those already doing their best to survive. You know, I am only able to do one thing really good, bringing creative ideas to reality. Over the course of my short beautiful life I hope to share many of these ideas with those who find them useful. They may not always relate to skydiving because skydiving does not always relate to life. I can promise only one thing, I'll do the best I can for as long as I am. Pretty simple seems to work better for most people like myself.
Sorry to sound harsh or rude , just felt i needed to defend my life a bit. No hard feelings.
Chris Frisella "

Yep, I love those bonehead halfshells...Jay Molensky jumps with the spikeless one...tough looking buckets.

That's interesting, those helmets aren't intended to be used for jumping

I discovered last week that they are not really skydiving friendly... I bought a Rider's Rage helmet and used it for the mandatory helmet rule at Panama City Beach swoop competition. When nearing terminal velocity while wearing a Rider's Rage helmet, it would start lifting and rolling back (even when chin strap is pretty tight). I asked a couple people if this was a standard issue and one told me that Jay had modified his, adding a chin cup. It sounds like a good fix idea, but I haven't tried it yet.

Chris

so why does i seem to rember to see a wellknown guy from this forum swooping his canopi whith out a helmet

Shhhhhh...;)

Yeah, I've gotten into the habit of not wearing a helmet on some jumps, I need to break that habit.

Well, if you're going to wear a helmet, atleast get a good one...:S

Pumpkins count don't they? ;)
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes