alexispainchaud

Professional Filming

Is there any way to get a comparable result with digital?

Lens, Format, Chip Size all contribute. The old saying, "You get what you pay for." is true here. But at what point are the diminishing returns? I shoot video with a Canon XL2, Sony PC 1000, Sony TRV 27, and Canon ZR90. You can tell the difference in a $4000 camera with $1000 lense and a $1000 camera with a $150 dollar lense, but with post producing they both contribute to the content of the project.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

In professional videos (i.e.: Crosswind) what makes the image so clear. Is it a matter of camera? Lens? Both?

yes, yes, and yes. . . to begin with.
Add to that very inportant things like skill, stabilizers, planning shots.
Format has a lot to do with it, for sure. Film is still king, IMHO, but certainly not the easiest/cheapest to work with in these sports!

Crosswind is one of my all time favortie jumping flicks. It's a shame I have to watch it on DVD and not on a big screen! Fucking inspirational film!

cheers Patrick!
pope

yes, yes, and yes. . . to begin with.
Add to that very inportant things like skill, stabilizers, planning shots.

Crosswind is one of my all time favortie jumping flicks. It's a shame I have to watch it on DVD and not on a big screen! Fucking inspirational film!

Yeah, of course a good camera does not mean a good cameraman, but it's only that when I look at some of my shots, I regret not having a better image, because everything seems to be there for a "Crosswind moment". Anyway, I'm far from being at the level of putting a flat top pro and a huge HDV cam on my head, but I was just wandering if such a setup would actualy pay off...

Thanks guys

(Yeah, Crosswind IS awesome...)
All work
And no skydive
Makes Alexis
A dull boy

In professional videos (i.e.: Crosswind) what makes the image so clear. Is it a matter of camera? Lens? Both?

Patrick Passe shot Crosswind with a 16mm film camera.

www.brunobrokken.com

I always thought not all was shot by Patrick... ?? I guess the other cam flyers dont have a 16mm...