flynskydive

Sonic helmet

I own the sonic, and have over 100 jumps with it. Very nice helmet, stable in freefall, comfortable, and multi-platform (top, front, and side capable). Only problems i've noticed are it tends to be a bit wide, so side mounting isn't as practical as top (ok because of the size of the top platform), and the ratcheting chin cup is removable.... which opens the potential for leaving it on the ground while you run to catch the plane... haha. Also, the chin-cup system while stable.. is not AS stable as the fuller face designs. The cutaway system is good, though once pulled you lose the hardware (spring loaded, so watch where it flies if testing it).

If you're looking for a semi-pro to pro setup.. this will do you good for a bit IMO, but watch what the real pros use. A full-face style like the bonehead optiq might be a better choice depending on how much video you shoot/plan on shooting.

Anyone else own the sonic, or have recommendations?
Tan-I, AFF-I, S&TA, Freefall Photographer, Skydive University Coach

I'm a top mounter (TRV-38) so that is cool with me. I shoot video for coach jumps and tandem/AFF video frequently. I was looking at the Bonehead flat top narrow, but can't justify spending that much when all I need to do is put cameras on my head, and can do it for a cheaper price with a quality helmet. Further input is appreciated.

USPA Strong T-I, AFF-I, Coach, Videographer/photographer.