thermite

PC120 Strange playback from DV tapes

Hi guys,

I've just got a used PC120 which seems to be in very good condition. The screen and recording to memory works fine but when I record to a brand new Premium Sony tape then play it back. The image and sound is all screwed up, the image gets all blocky and the sound is sometimes intermittent. Can anyone help or advise what I could do to solve it. Thanks.

I believe it's PAL, I'm in the UK. I'm just playing the recordings back on the camera itself. I'm using brand new Sony Premium 60 and running short play.
I only get the problem when playing a recording. When I'm using the viewfinder or screen and shooting film, it looks perfect.

The PC-120 is one of the few models that didn't differentiate a different model number for NTSC or PAL. It is available in both formats.

Personally, I think they were originally overpriced because of it contained some (very poorly implemented) bluetooth functionality. I don't know anyone who ever got that part to work.

It is a very good camera, though.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Well, my cleaning tape arrived. I ran the tape through the camera for ten secs then put in a new tape and did some recording, playback was marginally better but still a problem. I ran the tape for a further two times before I stopped using it again, as per the '3 clean at a time' limit. The problem is still there. It wasn't a Sony cleaning tape, it was JVC. Would this make a difference?

Been playing around with the camera a bit more and I keep getting the tape eject symbol pop up in the middle of the screen. I took the tape out at the point it was at and discovered this!... Could this be down to really duff tapes or is it likely to be that the camera is REALLY shagged!?

Right, here's an update, and it's looking pretty good! I thought I'd explain this fully as it may help someone else if they ever have the same symptoms.
After sending a pissy email to the guy who sold it to me, he replied with "Have you made sure the tape has been fully loaded before you close the manual door?" Um.. I think I have... He then goes on to say.. "When it's pulled the tape in, try pushing down on the frame containing the tape, I sometimes would get sound 'dropout' if the tape isn't loaded properly" So, after a little fiddling, I find that there is some play once the tape is loaded, the left side of the frame which holds the tape can move about 1mm inwards a little more. If you look at the pic, if you imagine pushing on the yellow label saying "Do NOT push" the left side would move in slightly towards the top of the camera. If there is no tape in there, you can see the steel post (tape guide?) nearest you in the picture move very slightly.
If I record and playback now, it works fine. It may still be temperamental if the tape shifts so I may put some kind of shim at the bottom of the door to keep the tape from moving. At least I know it's not the heads. I'm glad I perceviered with this rather than throw it in the bin.

I may get it looked at, it would probably only be something simple that needs sorting. In the meantime, I know what to do and it's not exactly going to give me a headache doing it. Anyway I got this camera for around £100 less than they are generally going for in the UK on Ebay, so I'm not moaning now that I know the camera isn't 'cattle trucked'