saxboy

Cutaway system?

Well it really only matters if you care about your life. If your lines get caught around your camera helmet you need to be able to get the entire mess off of you so you can cleanly cut away and pull your reserve. If you cut away and the main stays with you due to being tangled in your camera helmet it most likely will tangle your reserve too.
Kirk

Well it really only matters if you care about your life. If your lines get caught around your camera helmet you need to be able to get the entire mess off of you so you can cleanly cut away and pull your reserve. If you cut away and the main stays with you due to being tangled in your camera helmet it most likely will tangle your reserve too.
Kirk

How much force does a cutaway main have? If it is caught on your camera helmet (or any helmet for that matter) will it break your neck when cutaway?

Not saying this is the way to go (it's NOT), just curious of the lbs of force a collaped pc and main canopy creates when cutaway.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I had a reserve bridle/helmet entanglement once due to unstable deployment of the reserve (posted 8/2003 at DZ.com). The force was very uncomfortable. Fortunately my helmet had a cutaway system.

Stefan

...whoa... tough scenario... so then the cutaway on the main went ok... but the reserve bridle caught your helmet?????
...That's Just what the freebag design is for.... Didn't your reserve canopy STILL spit itself out of the D Bag and Inflate????... I sure hope so...
In that situation,, while the bridle may still be snagged on your helmet, with and open resrve canopy over your head... WHY????? would you have to cutaway the cam helmet???
seems to me that the situation would have saved having to chase down the pilotchute/freebag..:S:)
. I would do my best to free the bridle from the helmet,, and then drop it so it does NOT influence your descent.. But since things worked out Ok by cutting away the entire helmet... you did good.;)
Oh did the Pilot Chute /bridle freebag stay with the helmet all the way to the ground????Did the pilot chute inflate soas to reduce the speed with which your camera HIT the ground???.. was everything recovered???... ( sorry, I did not go and check the thread which you mentioned....)... jmy

So....do you mean that the cutaway system is very important in some situations,right?
I want to buy a camera helmet and i didn't know the reason of this system.
If i understood good....the cutaway system release the helmet from your head right?

So....do you mean that the cutaway system is very important in some situations,right?
I want to buy a camera helmet and i didn't know the reason of this system.
If i understood good....the cutaway system release the helmet from your head right?

One need only to go back a few years to read about Jan Davis and her helmet/canopy entanglement. She didn't make it.

It was her fatality that made me sit back and seriously consider just -why- I was flying camera...and if it was worth it. It made me very critical of every new cameraflyer's set-up and reason for flying this discipline. Skydiving itself is a step beyond the normal risk....and to add a camera to it steps it up more than one level further.

BSBD Jan 'Devil'.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=8151;search_string=fatality%20Jan%20;#8151

Update to add a couple more informative links:

http://www.makeithappen.com/wis/bios/davisjan.html

http://www.dropzone.com/news/JanDavisdiesatLodiCalifo.shtml

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

You also need to read this http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1108540;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread. The last thing you should even be looking at with 38 jumps is putting a camera on your head. Take the money you were going to invest on the helmet and put it into more skydives
Kirk