weegegirl

35mm still - which one?

I searched and I need to place an order today, so maybe you guys could help me out.

I don't want the very best because I'll probably go digital soon. But I need to buy a good, reliable 35mm still camera in a hurry.

Which one? Rebel? Which model? Is the default lense good enough?

Thanks! :)

Hello

Any EF lens will do (if I understood correctly you were talking about Canon Rebel). They can be found quite easily used or you can buy new lenses.
It is true that kit lenses are not that good - BUT they usually manage to do the job. At least in the beginning it is good to have a a kit lens, or something similar, to begin with. Then, after some time, you know what you will want from that camera, what kind of lens you will need.
Fixed wide angle lenses are good. At least in parachuting and landscape photography. But a nice zoom can be very useful.
If you find a cheap 24mm fixed EF lens.. It might just be worth it. ;)

And the best part is.. If you buy Canon Digital Rebel, or any Canon Digital later (at least up to date) you have use those EF lenses in it. But if you buy a Nikon Digital later.. Then your EF lenses do you no good. Two edged sword - maybe forcing you to stick on one branch.

Vesku

oh, that's something i didn't know. i didn't realize that the 35mm and digital cameras had exchangeable lenses. that's pretty sweet. now i'm actually more tempted to buy a lens too. thanks for the info!

Liz,

Go for the Canon EF 28mm F2.8, I used that one in combination with a Kenko .5 on my videocamera and the two lined up perfectly.
The 24mm version is quite a bit more expensive.

When you switch to digital, you'll want a wider lens though. The 28 (or 24) that you bought will still work, but it won't be wide enough for the distance you are flying with the tandem.
When I went to digital, I switched to the Sigma EX 15mm F2.8 (with the 1.6 crop factor that works out to be about a 24mm)

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Iwan