BlindBrick

Anybody ever fly a freefly suit with a camera wing?

I am the personification of the term Anvil Air. Because my belly fly speed was exceeding freefly speeds, my DZO required me to get a jumpsuit to slow down.

After much discussion with several manufactuers, what I ended up with was a hybrid suit that's a freefly suit with a large triple layer camera wing. I just picked it up today and was wondering if anybody had any tips for flying it. I've read several threads on flying camera suits, but was wondering if there'd be anything different since this is a hybrid?

In case you need the info, the suit is a very genrous cut freefly suit with a very large wing with swoop cords. I'd like to call it a D wing, but the bottom edge attaches just below the knee so it's more like a P wing. The wings are a very heavy nylon(think hot air balloon skin) outer shell with a zp inner lining. The suit itself is made of a heavy cotton fabric that's just one step below canvas, and is lined with another layer of identical fabric. Between the generous cut, heavy fabric, liner and wings, the suit is very heavy. I'm not sure of the exact weight, but it is heavier than my main which has a stated weight of 12 lbs. I'm 6'0 and with this suit, I expect my exit weight will be ~340 lbs.

I'd appreciate any info anyone could give.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

You'll likely have to pull in your wings to the "chicken" position... if that makes sense... when you pull.

So pull both arms in and reach back while holding your pull arm close to your body so you don't spin like a top when you go to pull....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Talk to the most experienced cameraflyer at your DZ about the camera wings - they make a huge difference! Here in the UK you wouldn't be able to jump it until 200 jumps (i think) as its classed as 'auxillary' equipment. Seriously show it to your top camera guy and get a thorough briefing. (oh yeah - have fun too!)
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Experienced skysurf camera flyers sometimes use this suit. Craig Obrien, Clif Burch...The are able to fall as fast as they need then slow down quickly during transitions. It will take practice and you will likely not like it at first but dont give up!

Hey brick, i jump a camera jacket and freefly pants. The jacket is baggy cut with wings that go down to the inside of my thigh. I use it to film a skysurfer, freestylist, tandems, rw, whatever. I can sitfly in it, fly on my head, whatever. I can't fly on my back but that is another story.:D What i am getting at is there is an incredible range with a suit like that. Learn the birdman pull sequence, like gravity girl said, when you go to pull, bring both arms back, bring your feet to your butt (to prevent going head low) and throw with both arms symmetrically, then fold them across your chest.

Little things like putting your swoop cords on OVER gloves, alti's, etc are things that you don't think about but are important. Once under canopy, you may not be able to reach slider etc. Take off swoop cords, and detach wings if possible to give you the most arm movement possible.

Take it slow:D at first and do some solos and practice a pull sequence several times to see what happens.

Have fun.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I have a 2 piece one myself and it works great for all types of stuff .I prefer it over my big winged camera suits . Go and jump just the suit a few times (without camera's on ) It 'll be an experience ! Talk with your camera flyers ,get some good advice.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Personally, I think it's totally silly that you are jumping this suit with your jump numbers. Even sillier of your DZO to "require" you to get one...

I jumped a Tony suit with a "D" wing and freefly legs for years...and it can make a huge difference when your trying to stay up with a small tandem master and a 90lb. passenger...but it's like ANY OTHER SUIT; you have to fly it properly to make it work for you. If you want to slow down try hitting the tunnel for awhile--you might learn a lot about flying slower then...

pope

Agreed, I've flown with some pretty big boys and none of them have ever needed a suit quite like that to do RW with others. That size of a wing is asking for burble issues and possibly routing issues if you are using an ROL with it. Good point on the swoop cords have already been brought up. You will find tracking different since the wings will be beating you in freefall now also you'll find you can't reach your toggles with the swoop cords on. To tension wings that large you'll never be able to do that great of RW since you will either have to have the wings tensioned tight to stay slow and any change in body position will result in the wings spilling air and away you go, or if you reach for a grip you will suddenly find your self 20-30 feet up and over the formation.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

actually i jump a camera suit that is a freefly suit with wings and is made from a courdura(but thinner) type material( we call them sweatbags) they are much slower than cotton suits. i sometimes have to film 30 kg children doing tandems on strongs with light tandem masters. no worries. my swoop cords go under my gloves as we jump in very cold conditions as well. i have no problem reaching my slider, toggles and rapid links as i have no riser hoops. just ensure the swoop cords are long enough to reach you toggles.

my wings only go from my elbows to my hips so no chance of bridle through the wing action. and no need for wingsuit type deployments either.

there is no reason for everybody to peak out on someone jumping wings. skill and currency is far more important than numbers. to make someone fall faster for deployment is far more dodgy than jumping wings. you don't have to go OTT on the wings though.

da kine rags make a very baggy freefly suit this is probably all you need ;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Personally, I think it's totally silly that you are jumping this suit with your jump numbers. Even sillier of your DZO to "require" you to get one...

Well, without a suit, I was deploying at an average speed of 165 mph(and that was flying dearched to the very, very edge of going unstable). That put enough stress on my gear that my canopy is getting a new lineset. I bought it brand new and had it out of trim by jump 20. So, something had to be done.

I got two jumps in this weekend on the suit. The first, I was potatoe chipping, except it was a side to side roll vs a front/back thing. Other than that, the jump felt good. I was careful to reach back and touch my rig before grabbing the hackey, to make sure I didn't grab the wing. My Vigil says max speed was 128, so I was very happy.

Second jump, I seemed to have the rocking taken care of, and I played around with varying my fall rate by usign the wings. I just dived off the step of a 182, and extended the wings as I launched. it felt rock solid, not a bit of instability. The closest thing I can think to compare it to is riding a sled downhill, on my belly. Once I hit terminal, I had a bit of trouble with the wings coming away from the velcro on the legs(will be modding that before the next jump), but once I figured out what was going on, I was able to cancel out the unwanted motion. unfortuantely, with the wings not functioning correctly, I picked up a bit of speed and hit 140.

I am looking forward to this coming weekend. I think that with a bit of practice, and the wings fixed, I will be able to probably slow down to 110 or so while being able to hit 155 or so in a hard arch wiht the wings collapsed.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."