sdctlc

300D Digital Camera shooting mode

OK, I am looking at getting into Digital from 35mm and can pick up the 300D which some of you are jumping at a good deal. Yeah I know the 350 is higher res but also ~$300 more. If your jumping the300D what mode are you in single shot or continuous?? I am not worried about Av or Tv I will probably think about that like I did on my Rebel 35mm but if you have a good set up on it that would be great to mention but I have seen suggestions in searches so that is not here or there. Do you do anything on the auto balance?

Continuous gives the 4 shot burst the about 3 sec later get another 4 shot burst and then I think it was about 6-7sec after that for another 4 shot and each one thereafter... From what I can see from reading specs and reviews.. I have not been able to easily find the shot rate on a single shot mode... Does it give a shot a second at RAW? Maybe slightly faster? I am not sure... If your jumping it how are you setting it up, single shot or on Continuous, I am guessing single shot… Also running Raw or JPG/Fine and what is the # of shots your getting...

Also I hear a lot abot the stock lens that it is OK but the 15mm is better? Any way I am curious about the shooting rate from those experienced with the camera..

Thanks
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Scott,

I jumped the 300D for a while, but I just upgraded.

I generally set it up for continuous shooting, ISO 100, Tv with shutterspeed 500 or fully manual.
I dont know the shooting speed in RAW, but it's SLOW. For most of the stuff I didnt find the buffer to be a problem, only when filming tandems the opening sequence and the exit from the plane I wish it had a couple more shots available in the buffer, cause the overal speed of the camera is just fine.
If I were you right now I would not buy the 300D anymore, I know the 350D is 300 bucks more, but the problems (actually more challenges) I outlined above are not there with the 350D.... spend the extra money and you'll be a lot happier ;)

Iwan

Yeah,

I was poking around some ore and found a reputable dealer on line (reviewed at www.resellerratings.com with a 8.84 of 10) and a New Rebel XT with lens and all else that comes in the standard box (minus the card) for $833 delivered (slow shipping) and I can upgrade shipping to O/N for $29.... Go to Costco and get a SanDisk Ultra II 1GB for $75 or a 512 for $49.. that is now looking more realistic..... Under $900 delivered for the better cam and card....

Still I take it people using the XT are running in jpg/fine on single shot mode?? If so,using conceptious toung switch are you picking shots and shooting as you go or just holding it down? How many shots are you getting?

Thanks,
Scott

Still I take it people using the XT are running in jpg/fine on single shot mode?? If so,using conceptious toung switch are you picking shots and shooting as you go or just holding it down? How many shots are you getting?

The way my camera is setup (most of the people I know have it that way) is continuous shooting.
Most of the time I only take one or two pics at a time, but on exit and canopy opening, I hold the switch down for a couple of seconds to get the sequences.

Using the XT.. and the conceptus tongue switch. I typically land with 80 shots or so.. If I am feeling rambunctious, 120 but I am trying to cut back.. These include the ground stuff before and some test shots prior to exit.. I can't imagine missing a shot with the XT.. with the 300D, though, there was an occasional frustrating moment or two.. ;)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Since the 10d and 3000d are fairly close (and I was coached through my settings by a 300d shooter) here are my settings:

Sunny day:
TV mode, 500 shutter speed Auto Appature and auto white balence, Fine JPG

Cloudy day:
TV Mode, 250 shutter, auto appature, auto white balence, Fine JPG

With a 512meg card 215-230 depending on the types of photos I take.

Sunset:
P mode, Auto everything (Hey I'm lazy and have screwed up sunset shots trying to guess wrong. :P Fine, JPG. On a 512 card 186 photos in P mode. RAW uses WAY too much card and takes way too long to write tothe card.

Single shot mode uses the same buffer as the burst mode. It will shoot once each click until the buffer is full then it waits as it writes then it lets you take another shot. Over all I think its going to be a wash in terms of which will shoot more for you on a jump. The Burst is REALLY nice out the door. And you don't have to use the entire burst in a click, you can burst 2 pause then burst 2 more which might actually let you burst 3 since it will have started writing the first photo by the time the second one is clicked. I see no reason to shoot Single shot in my opinion.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Using film i shot 24 frames using a burst on exit and deployment ... i'm having trouble with my 350D and conceptus (1 Gig Sandisk UltraII card) taking under 50 when the student is smiling and the clouds are pretty. I could easily take 80 from exit to deployment, probably lots more if I just held it down. Go continuous ... films free with digital, dude. Using Large Jpeg (Fine); the one gig card holds about 300 shots. Should go all day with discipline, or you could stop once to swap cards or download to a pc - really fast with USB 2.0 on the 350D (only USB 1.0 on the 300 & Nikon D70,D70s ... takes a lot longer).

Sport mode works fine, if you can't out-think the camera like the "real" photogs can. The auto focus and auto metering response of this camera is smart and fast! You gotta work hard to screw up a pic.

Well, I broke down and am entering the Digial Stills world. I ordered a spanky new Rebel XT with the 15-55mm Lens and it should be here early next week. Got it for just under $850 delivered. Pretty good price from what I can tell :P I will shoot that lens for a bit then look to go to the wider one, dont have the extra cash right now, oh well...

Should be up and shooting by next weekend.. Now I just need to get a flash to mount then I wont have any excuses...

Seller was online at Buydig.com I looked and found better deals but www.resellerratings.com panned them so I just stepped back.. I figured that this place would get smacked but I looked and found a rating for the last 6 months of 8.8.. http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2065.html Also found some good reviews at BizRate as well.. So I felt better about it..

Looking forward to shooting 50+ shots on a jump and actually seeing the results and not just handing film away not knowing what the output was... ;)

Scott C.