medusa

photography tips needed

hi all,

I'm starting to take pictures and I don't have any photograph backround, I berly know what a camera is, so I can use some good tips frome experience skydiver photographers, so any tip will be more than welcome.

I have a CANON EOS 3000. and I'm using a bite switch.

I used the camera to take pictures of RW and freeflying.

my question is:

should I set the camera on automatic or manual??
should I set the camera on speed 500 or 1000??
should I place ruber bands arround the lens??
should I take the flash out or not??
should I use the sports or portrait setting??

Any tip will be welcome ;)
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

Any tip will be welcome

Spend a good deal of time on the ground with your camera learning how to take good photos, then you'll have a good understanding of the camera and what settings you want the camera in to get the kind of shot you want.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Start here: Web SLR

Pay the 20 bucks and play around. It's an awesome tool that will help you learn the basics of SLR cameras and photography in general.

Basically, it's a website that allows you to play around with a virtual SLR camera, change settings, lenses, etc.. and see the results of your actions instantly. The guy that runs the site is also very cool and he'll help you out in any way he can.

Good luck,
Z

Action©Sports

ovbiusly practice makes perfection and by probe and mistake I will realice what setting is better for the intended use.

But my camera is not a digital camera is a film, so I won't realice wish setting is better to used rightaway, y will have to wait untill I get the pictures back, and then I will try to remember "if I can" wish setting did I use on tha picture.
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

I've been into photography for years, but I've only jumped with about two dozen rolls of film, so take this advice for what it's worth, and maybe some of the more experienced folks will chime in.

I agree 100% with the advice already given. If you can't take decent pictures on the ground, you're going to waste alot of film in the air. Read the manual, play with the camera (this is huge!), surf the Internet, there's lots of info out there.

I would suggest shutter priority set to 1/250. You can set it to 1/125 if you want blurring of the jumpsuit flapping in the wind. If you set it to 1/500, it'll freeze virtually all movement. You'll need to read about how this affects depth of field. Too much to explain here.

In general, keep the sun to your back, unless you want a silhouette.

Turn off autofocus, and set the camera just short of infinity (looks like a sideways 8 on the lens barrel). I use a tandem rubberband to hold the focus ring on my 28mm lens.

Film is a matter of personal preference. Starting off, I would just suggest an inexpensive 400 speed film, and develop it at the cheapest drugstore. Once you get used to composing your shots, a quality 100 speed film (I like Fuji Reala) taken to a quality camera store for developing is the way to go. A little more expensive, but well worth the added quality. After a while, consider playing with Fuji Velvia! :)
Get a UV filter for the lens. Film today typically doesn't even respond to UV light, but the filter will protect your expensive lens from dirt, oil, fuel, etc. Keep your lens clean!

I don't know your skill level, so I'll just say be careful and stay very aware of what's going on around you.

Good luck and have fun!
Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Kodak publishes a book called "Understanding Exposure." You should read that, and then you should join my movement to get "portrait" and "sports" modes stricken from all cameras, and replaced by good old fashioned f-stops and shutter speed controls.

Oh yeah, everyone else's advice is good too.

Hey Johnathan. I recognize the helmet in your avatar. I shared a room with you and Eddie at the Puerto Rico boogie a couple years ago.

Dude, just get a digital camera. It would have taken me forever to learn even the little bit that I've learned over the past couple weekends if I had to worry about not wasting film. In fact I'm pretty sure I never would have gotten into still photography at all without digital cameras and the instant feedback they give you.

Good luck with it. Hope to jump with you again sometime.

Tony

Dude, just get a digital camera.

Digital is for wimps! ;)

I'm just jealous... I recently added a Nikon D70 to my collection, but not ready to risk strapping it to my head yet...

I have to agree though, digital camera's are a great way to learn!

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

My advice - either take a class or get a book on basic photography. This forum does have many threads on basic skydiving photography in terms of camera settings - just do some searching, you'll find tons... Also - digital will allow you to take many more shots in a given amount of time and to learn from those shots. I'm still in the film world and did most of my learning with film, but man, I'd kill for a nice digital. You can do many helpful things like setting up programs to make adjustments over a series of shots - this IMHO makes learning much easier and quicker. Good luck!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --