Jumpmunki

Dire Encoding Help Required

hia guys, hope you are all well,

i'm having a right mess on trying to compress my raw avi outputs from premier to anything remotley sensible in size and watchability.

the mpg version is 699mb ... and it looks ok but the sound is a bit :(

i need a good balance of watchability (decent quality and sound) alongside a sensible size (under 100mb)

it's a 20min short film of my trip to spain, the other videos i've done are only around 5 mins long... but this one is 22 i think and the file size is crippling

one of you must hold a magic lamp that you can let me rub to pop out the genie of help !

cheers guys

Wayne

For simple encoding use the Microsoft Windows Media encoder. Its on their website for free download. Set the quallity about 300kbs for high quality/large version and about 96kbs for a low quality/small version.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Not sure why you want to but . . .

If you are using 6.5 or later you can select the movie's time line - click File - Export - Adobe Media Encoder and use one of the WMV formats. These can be customized to frame rate and resolution to suit your needs. BUT can only be played on a computer.

The other formats like video CD are going to be larger.

If you bought Premiere and have never done this, you may need to download the encoders from Adobe. They are free, but will require some time to download.

If you're using a light version or older version of premiere you might try exporting to an AVI format like cinepak or indeo but the quality won't be as good.

There are other options - just really depends on what you need the files to be smaller for.

I always save my movies as an export to Tape to keep a relatively high quality copy in case I change my mind later.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

i need to make them smaller to upload to http://www.skydivingmovies.com but i hate the films you see uploaded that are unwatchable... under 100 mb would be great. but i refuse to upload it if it's crap quality, theres no point in spending 2 days chopping footage, adding music etc when you can't even watch it properly. i've got dvd res copies for myself. i just want to share it....

cheers for the help dudes....

Compress and make the data rate to about 1500kbs and then use the DivX encoder on that version.....
But uploading a 20min film to the web means you will have to compromise quality to get the damn file size anywhere near realistic...
Can I gently suggest perhaps a 'web edit' of the movie thats a little shorter.....in that way you wont have to compromise on the quality quite so much

As I said... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

Its FREE!!! It works and well.. its free and it works!

Every video I've posted online (abotu 20 or so) I used the WMP encoder 9 that phreezone has talked about above. It works great. Set it to variable bitrate with cd quality audio. I haven't had one that's been over 100mb yet. Works great.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

For a quick savings of some bandwidth drop the sound to FM, it will save about 35-70kps. Might not seem like a lot but I've shaved about 5 -6 megs of 15 minute clips that way, helps a lot for dial up users. Sound is just a tad less, but unless you are going for souround sound I don't mind FM for the savings on a low bandwidth download.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com