Fuzzy

20D Remote Switch - Small Problem

Have just wired up the 20D using instructions from Peter Galli's web site. Although it's working, I'm running into some small problems. Wonder if I missed something or have doing something wrong.

Set up using Conceptus tongue switch (had it for my Rebel with stereo switch, just cut end off it) & 80N3 end.

A: When wired using instructions for AF AI Servo (red/red - white & ground / ground only on switch side). The camera starts focusing as soon as the plug is connected. The function switches will not work - Auto shutdown will not work. I can take pictures no problem, but it's like the shutter button is half depressed.

B: When wired for Manual Focus (red /red - white/white - ground/ground) - The camera works fine including AI Servo feature and other function buttons, but - if camera shuts down, I have to physically switch camera off and on again to get it to work.

At present it's set up as shown in B - and have just turned off the auto off function.

Again, just wondering what I have missed, or if there could another problem with the wires.

Thanks

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Someone in another thread mentioned a software update that the 20D needed. Canon found this problem after manufacture and made this available for download on their site. lewmonst was having the exact same problem and she got directed this way as well.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Thanks

I'll look further for the other threads again (didn't see anything on this originally), and check out Canons web site as well
-------------------------------
Edited to add - Found the other thread -(guess I didn't look hard enough first times)

In case anyone needs them
Here is the thread http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1497704;search_string=20D;#1497704

Here is the Canon Site for the firmware http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html

--------------------------------------
Thanks again

Fuzzy

Hi Peter

Everything else seems to be fine, although I'm still having the same problems as mentioned in the previous msg - decided to keep it wired as is for now, and make up a second wire for spare / experimenting.

Canon shows firmware update is to 1.1.0, which is what my camera already shows as having so not sure if I should try updating anywary or not.

One thing I was not sure of is the "3 contact plug adapter for auto focus function" mentioned on your site. I wired straight from the tongue switch to the 80NS plug. Did I miss something in the between?

Btw: Thanks for having that info on your site (very cool & helpful)

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Canon shows firmware update is to 1.1.0, which is what my camera already shows as having so not sure if I should try updating anywary or not.

Interesting. PM lewmonst and see what she says. After she updated her camera it had no problems after that. We'd all be interested to hear what's up.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'll send her a note to see if she can shed any light.

Gonna run firmware update anyway to see if that helps (even though it shows same version).

I'll post the results

Thanks

Fuzzy

You know what, I haven't even bothered with the update. I have my auto-off set to 4 minutes. On jump run, i open and close the CF door and that brings the camera back to life, and I fire off a test shot or two. I can here the shutter so I know if it has taken a photo. No problems doing it that way so far.
I know, I should just get the firmware update, but it hasn't slowed me down, so I don't think about it.
peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com