StevePhelps

Adobe Premiere problem

I'm not sure what is going on here. Previously I've not had any problem printing to tape on my computer. But now when I do, I keep getting blank (blue screen) portions. The local audio electronics guys said to defrag my computer. That made sense, but even after defragging it I get the same results no matter what size file it is. (even for a simple 40 second unedited clip)

I know my system needs upgrading (Pentium 2, 40 gig hardive (13 gig available) 512 RAM, but it was able to do it until recently. Any ideas?

Okay, are you absolutely sure that your project output settings ar ethe same as your capture...And that there are no filters, slow mos, effects etc running?

Try a few simple things..
Shut everything down that you don't need to be running, 'google', find and download 'enditall' which will help.
Find and disable or even remove 'findfast', which comes with Office, and really slows things up.
Clear any adware or spyware that may have manifested itself on your system.
Cancel any 'scheduled' tasks.

If none of the above produce the desired results, you may have to partition your drive, so that you are writing your premiere temp files and all your captures etc to a different partition from your applications and operating system. Be sure to repartition as NTFS.

It may sound counter intuitive, but I've seen a load of stress resolved by partitioning drives.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Try to render your project to one big file (file>timeline>export to file>microsoft DV avi)

Import that .avi into a blank project (and defrag your HD) and export that one to tape.

This way premiere doesn't have to calculate transitions and skip across your harddisk to different clips.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

"I get the same results no matter what size file it is. (even for a simple 40 second unedited clip)"
Hey JP, Jarno.....I don't see what rendering an unaltered clip would get you.

Rendering the timeline is an old trick and often solves a lot of stress (and its a bloody good idea every time you are 'happy' with the results:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

and sometimes it just seems to have a mind of its own.

I know what you mean. I have 6.5 and sometimes on playback or sending to a tape it will start playing in fast foward or do something stupid like that.....pain in the butt when I'm trying to record back to a tape...[:/]

Well, I got the "enditall" program. I even printed the project back as an avi fil. Ended all unnecessary programs but still got same problem.

I guess I'll try the partioning solution. I'll wait until my "geek" son can help as I'm clueless on how to do that.

BTW. I have 6.0 and I recently changed from Windows 2000 to XP. Could XP be any of the problem?

"I recently changed from Windows 2000 to XP."

Did the change coincide with the start of your woes?

I run XP and Prem 6.0 on my laptop, successfully, so it can be done, all we have to do is work out where your bottleneck is.....

If XP has messed with your drive settings that may be a cause.
Go here...
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/free_utilities/pm_free_utilities.asp
Run raptest to see if your disc set up is fast enough for editing.
--------------------

"READ: 25mb/s
WRITE: 14mb/s

Now what?"

Do the happy dance, there's nothing wrong with the disc speed, one less thing to worry about:)Try Phree's suggestion....
--------------------

BTW. I have 6.0 and I recently changed from Windows 2000 to XP. Could XP be any of the problem?

6.0 or 6.0.1? 6.0 had a known problem with dropped frames exporting to tape. You can download a free 6.0.1 upgrade from Adobe.

I used 6.5 with XP for a couple of years without a problem. I don't think I used 6.0.1 with XP.

If something used to work and now it doesn't then the general rule is that something has changed. I've worked in IT support and users will swear blind that they haven't done anything and it just stopped working on it's own. Software doesn't wear out and stop working. There is always some sort of trigger. Although it may not always be obvious. The trick is to identify when the problem started and then identify what changes happened between the previous time it worked and then.

Changing from 2000 to XP is a pretty major event. If the problem started when you upgraded then the upgrade is a good candidate for the cause. It's a good idea to have up to date versions of all your software when you upgrade the OS. I am pretty sure 6.0 was released before XP and 6.5 was released after XP, so I would suggest upgrading to 6.5 if you can.

Ivan

6.0 or 6.0.1? 6.0 had a known problem with dropped frames exporting to tape. You can download a free 6.0.1 upgrade from Adobe.

I used 6.5 with XP for a couple of years without a problem. I don't think I used 6.0.1 with XP.

If something used to work and now it doesn't then the general rule is that something has changed. I've worked in IT support and users will swear blind that they haven't done anything and it just stopped working on it's own. Software doesn't wear out and stop working. There is always some sort of trigger. Although it may not always be obvious. The trick is to identify when the problem started and then identify what changes happened between the previous time it worked and then.

Changing from 2000 to XP is a pretty major event. If the problem started when you upgraded then the upgrade is a good candidate for the cause. It's a good idea to have up to date versions of all your software when you upgrade the OS. I am pretty sure 6.0 was released before XP and 6.5 was released after XP, so I would suggest upgrading to 6.5 if you can.

Ivan

I have 6.5 and recently upgraded to XP from 2000. 6.5 didn't change, it continues to be quirky and have a mind of its own. When it gets too wierd I just export the project as it stands to disk as a .avi, and start over with that as a new project.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, I'm not sure what to do. My son the geek, says I need a new computer. He says partioning the HD would not be an answer to my current situation. Another HD maybe.

I don't know the type of video card as it came with the computer and I don't have that info any more. I also no longer have a windows 2000 disk if I wanted o go back. Right now I guess I'm stuck until I can buy a bigger computer. Dang! I hate being so computer illiterate.

Try to render your project to one big file (file>timeline>export to file>microsoft DV avi)

Import that .avi into a blank project (and defrag your HD) and export that one to tape.

This way premiere doesn't have to calculate transitions and skip across your harddisk to different clips
-----------------------------------------------------------

I finally figured out what you meant ... gawd, I told you I was dumb! That worked! Thanks!