aerialcameraman

superdrive for imac

Yes, you can export directly to iDVD including chapter markers you can set in iMovie.

iDVD -will- take awhile to format and burn the disc, but you end up with a nice looking menu.

If you use a stand alone DVD recorder, you can hook that up several ways and it will be -much- faster, but you lose the ability to make custom and much nicer menus.

It all depends on what your project needs are.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Will it be fast enough to do tandem video's after a jump or is it to slow..How slow are we talken??
We would like to offer DVD's more this year. So after you are done editing it just transfer the file to IDVD and it then automaticly formats it to have menus and then you can burn it.

IMO, iMove to iDVD and burn takes WAY too long for a tandem operation. That is, unless you want to mail the DVD to them later. I've had 20 minute creations take over 4 hours to render and burn the first copy.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

it's the encoding of the dvd that takes a while, not the burning... once you've burned one dvd, and it asks you if you want to make another, that second disc, and each one after that , burns very quick...

Maybe Toast with very basic menu will go faster that idvd, but I'm not sure...

-drew

I've never had a problem with the encoding and burning time because I'm not in a hurry so I just go and watch TV for a bit.

But, I find iDVD painfully slow to use. Moving between menu's, adding and removing stuff, responding to mouse clicks, etc., etc. Everything about just using it is really slow. iDVD5 is a big improvement over iDVD4 but it is still very frustrating to use.

Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

(iMac G5, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD)

Ivan

[Edit for spelling]

You're not alone. iDVD4 on my 800 mhz G4 was brutal. iDVD5 is a vast improvement to work with.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The iDVD burn takes way to long at the Dropzone. Use this connector to
export your iMovie edit straight to a stand alone burner, I use a $130.00
walmart special.Once you have finished your edit click the full screen botton in iMovie and record on the Burner. You will need a stereo mini plug to RCA plugged into your Macs headphone jack to get sound to the burner
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70402/wo/4Wats5iSxwBm3dwY8iSje8sBrtk/5.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.3.3

David

You will need a stereo mini plug to RCA plugged into your Macs headphone jack to get sound to the burner
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70402/wo/4Wats5iSxwBm3dwY8iSje8sBrtk/5.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.3.3

David

The link that you posted is to the -video- connector. It does -not- transmit sound.

However, I know what you mean. A regular headphone jack into the headphone port on the computer...along with normal splitter can get stereo sound to any other device that has RCA connections. I use this all the time when I create a short one-jump video (for fun jumpers) and they want it downloaded to a VHS. I hook the video up, with the connector you posted, to the VCR...then add the RCA audio jacks and away we go. :)
ltdiver

The iDVD burn takes way to long at the Dropzone. Use this connector to
export your iMovie edit straight to a stand alone burner, I use a $130.00
walmart special.Once you have finished your edit click the full screen botton in iMovie and record on the Burner. You will need a stereo mini plug to RCA plugged into your Macs headphone jack to get sound to the burner

what type of burner are you talking about? are you talking about one of the ones from like walmart or bestbuy...the type you'd put with your TV and that? or are you talking about a lacie or similar just external DVD drive?

I'm a little confused...B|

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

why could you not just after your done editing the video just export it to you DVD recorder useing the Firewire such as you would do if you where to just export it back to your camera.

Just a thought, but I'd think that iMovie would have to recognize the external device like it does your video camera. There are some video cameras that are -not- recognized by iMovie (no drivers made for that model).

ltdiver

the thing that pops into my mind is exporting back to the camera and connecting the camera to the stand alone dvd recorder (one like a vcr) and recording like that... the imac g5 doesn't have s-video out, so that really limits what you can do. Apple definitely seperates the consumer line from the prosumer line. You are also limited to video mirroring, rather than extending the desktop, if you connect an external monitor (unless you hack the firmware). So you could make a project in imovie, and export it to dvd via idvd, or save it as a disc image from idvd and burn it with the disk utility, or go straight from the camera through idvd to a dvd...

Bottom line... and I apologize if I'm wrong or misinterpreting the question, is that you can't connect the vcr type of dvd recorder to an imac without purchasing a media converter (firewire to rca).

-drew

With the $19.00 adapter linked in my post above I use an S-video cable and A stereo mini plug to RCA to get both sound and video to a stand alone DVD recorder. The DVD recorder does have firewire in, but as ltdiver pointed out iMovie will not recognize the burner and won't export/share to it. The headphone port on the G5iMac also serves as an optical audio out, if you wish to keep your audio as clean as your S-video.
I have also used an external DVD-+R burner with Toast6 and a disc image made with iDVD5. I had some minor issues with iMovie5, and have reinstalled ilife 4 until I finish a boogie DVD I'm working on.
For DVD's at the DZ the $19.00 adapter and the $135.00 DVD recorder has been the quickest and cheapest solution I have found, to avoid 1 and 2 hour encoding times.
David

I got the adaptor that was posted on this post. Can you run me through how to hook it up and what are the steps you take after you have edited the video on Imoive. Do you just hit export and will that work or is there more steps. Would love it if you would run through the steps to take...

THANKS