JohnnyZ

PC105 vs. PC109

I currently jump with PC105 and am pretty happy with it.
I just wondered if anybody has experience with PC105 & PC109... Which do you like better? How does the smaller lens compare? How do the camera's compare in size and performance?
I've been seeing some good deals on the PC109 lately, and might consider picking one up.

Thanks,
John Z.:|

I bought the PC109--it's my first camcorder. You can get the super-thin wide-angle lens now, though at the time I got it nothing would fit the 25mm lens without a step-up..

The super nightvision plus is pretty incredible.. Note that there is super nightvision *and* super nightvision plus. You'll need a tripod if using the *plus* because the shutter speed is stupidely slow--but you *see* everything *in colour* when it's pitch-black outside. Great for BASE videos in dodgy areas ;)...

Get a wide-angle lens. An absolute MUST. I can't get over how little you get in the frame, compared to all my friends' camcorders...

It *is* a very small, very light camcorder--mainly because many of the plug-ins are not on the camcorder, but on the docking station.

All in all, I've been very happy with mine--and other jumpers consistently mistake it for a cheap-o brand camcorder because of it's tiny size..

Hope this helps.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Does the PC109 have the port for a Cam Eye on the camera or the docking piece? If it's on the docking piece, how does the camera + docking piece combination compare in size to a PC105?

The PC109 has the LANC port on the camera itself. The firewire plug is on the docking station. You don't use the docking station while filming.

I have a pc 105 and a pc 109. I love the pc 105, i hate the pc 109 docking station--what a pain. I don't believe they make pc 105's anymore, though I could be wrong on that. The two cameras are pretty similar in body size, not too sure about the performance though, but are pretty similar.

The two cameras are pretty similar in body size

Not really......the 109 is quite a bit less 'chunky' due to not having the extra jacks and associated hardware on the camera itself.

IMHO.....there is quite a difference in anything other than 'high light' conditions where the bigger lense of the 105 produces clearly better images.
I am just completing a video edit whereby both a 109 and a 105 were used to film exactly the same shot ( indoor...well lit windtunnel). Some parts of that edit show the shot from a 105 and 109 together on the screen.......I'll upload a portion to Skydivingmovies.com when its finished so you can see the difference for yourself.

Im sure the quality of shot from the 109 is going to be 'better' in bright natural light conditions.....but there clearly is a difference.

Personally I own a 109......and am happy with it.
I am a bit tired of having to carry the docking station around everywhere to tansfer footage......and would have preferred it to have been on the camera.......so in hind sight I should have opted for a 105 ( not many around to buy)

I agree 100% with your opinions. I love my PC109 because I don't just use it for skydiving. It's tiny, and in daylight conditions the image is pristine. Low light filming lacks a little though, and the external firewire gets old after a while.

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I really don't see what the big hang-up with the "external" (docking port) firewire connection is. We use linear editing through a digital mixing board here so there has never been a reason for me to have to firewire anything. If I did, it would be at the end of the day (over beers) in either my camper or the video room, both of which have docking stations sitting around. I really like my 109.

The only detractor to the camera that I can find is that the LANC in on the right side of the camera. If you are using a CamEye (I do not), then you will either have to cut a hole in the left side of your helmet to keep the flush fit that the 109 is so capable of (at least on an L-bracket), jack the camera farther away from the side of the helmet (if you want the LANC connector to stay outside your helmet), or just wear it mounted in a D-box on the right side of your helmet. As I jump my camera on an L-bracket and do not use a CamEye, the slim design and incredibly light weight make for very low neck strain on opening.

I do the great majority of my editing hand-held using the simple fades afforded in the camera. I put the camera back on my helmet just after the student is connected, then put my camera helmet on just as we are moving to the door, ensuring that the camera is recording. The gaps are taken out and other editing is done post-jump on the linear board.

Chuck

Chuck

I found a good starter lens at best buy for $35. It came with an array of step down rings. Do a search on here for the various conversations as to which lens is used for what, etc.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

a .5 is more useful lens overall if you don't ever want to work the zoom on your camera, but I get better results (my opinion) with my .3 for total video (not just the freefall) production. I have my zoom pulled back to about .45 in freefall, but I get lots of "in your face" stuff while rigging up and in the plane and that's where the .3 shines.

As for lenses, you can get a .45 (with a step ring) at Best Buy for under $40 (US) if you are hesitant to get a Royal/WayCool-type low-profile lens right away. Personally, I would not consider jumping anything other than a low profile lens. The additional weight and snag factor of other lenses just takes away from the tiny, super lightweight package afforded by a PC 109 with a .3 (or .5).

Chuck