BETO74

Time-Lapse effect

I’m looking to play with the time lapse of my video camera; I’m planning to get the sky dawn to dust, little less than 12 hrs of video on a 4min clip what set will you recommend w/ what filter???? I have an idea just want to compare ideas, will you rather do it playing with the tape speed and then fast-forward, compress into 4min??? or just do the time lapse.

What filter will create a better effect UV, PL, VPL???

Any thoughts!!!!!!
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I have a bit o' experience with time-lapse.

The problems aren't going to be filter related, but rather capture related. Some of the Sony miniDV cameras have a screwy time-lpse feature built in to them which isn't exactly perfect but acceptable if you then speed up the footage an additional 3x.

For dawn to dusk, the ONLY way to set up the camera is with auto iris on. If the sky has a lot of clouds in it and the brightness changes alot you'll get a fairly annoying "breathing" of the iris, but if the sky is mostly clear and the light levels don't change too drastically, it can look pretty good. If you're only shoot a portion of the day, you might be better off sticking with ONE iris setting if your camera allows for that.

I'd turn -off- the auto white balance and just set it to outdoors.

There are a couple other options to consider too. There is software for computers to do the time-lapse capture. I've used this to document long term construction projects that take place for the course of years. And for the absolute highest quality footage (better than HDTV!) you can set up a digital still camera to do time-lapse captures a couple ways.

What's your project goal?

Oh, and as to a filter recommendation . . . for a full day I'd go with no filter at all. For a specific hour or two, I'd throw on a polarizer.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Is for a dropzone presentation, starts with sky time-lapse, clouds go by, logo appears fades out and a disclaimer appears scrolling up, all with the sky time lapse in the background.

-so the auto white balance t outdoors will take care of the breathing effect??

-I was thinking setting 5 seg to minute

-UV filter proved better this morning don't know about the light changes throught the day

-maybe 6hrs will be enough instead of 12

-I think in playing it with the tape speed setting to LP and the fast-fowarded with Final Cut 3x or more?
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I've used a program called Boinx iStop Motion on my Mac. You set the interval in the program and just leave the camcorder on camera. You have to take the tape out or it goes into demo mode.

It also does animation stuff...I let my kids, ages 4 and 6 ... do some monsters with playdoh and it was hilarious good fun!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I’m planning to get the sky dawn to dust, little less than 12 hrs of video on a 4min clip what set will you recommend w/ what filter?

What type of camera are you using? I use a PC120 and it have some sort of time-laps function, havn't tried it yet but it might be what you are looking for...

--
riro - http://www.ronnkvist.nu/gallery/