CornishChris

Camera Box coming open

I have done about fifteen jumps with my new Cookie Composites camera helmet and PC108. On about 5 of them I find that the camera box is open under canopy. It is shut on exit and in freefall but I can feel it open under canopy and rattling. I then shut it and all is fine. The box is secured shut with an elastic bungy, that is very tight, that sits in a groove on the cover. Attached is a picture of the lid. I know a number of others who jump this lid and have no problems and I have spoken to the company who have not heard of this before on their lids.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

riser slap is my first thought.....get another strap...not really a bungee but a snap clip....if your bungee is running horizonally then run the clip fastened strap vertically.

hope this helps....just an idea, cheep and effective.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

do you have a wide angle lense on your camera?

i ask because if not, the wind getting into the box might be enough to blow it open. Those elastics aren't that strong. A lense though that is flush with the front of the box would prevent that possible problem.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

A friend of mine had the same problem with his Cookie box mounted to a Bonehead Optik. His solution was to put on another bungee going vertically over the box. It fixed the problem, and the box has never popped open in freefall or otherwise...

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

Pretty sure it isn't riser slap too as I am not feeling anything at all.

its really amazing how when you do catch a riser you wont feel it......i have had a riser catch the back bone of my FTN and actually ripped a piece right off of it....it was just an observation seeing that it only comes open on deployment

but the second strap should fix the problem. GL
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

nice helmet dude, nice and clean for a side mount. I bet a 2" strip of gaffers tape will keep it closed. it seems the bungy is tight, but because the bungy is round it can roll off with riser contact.
stay safe,
Jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

Step by step instructions for installing a "grip tab" on your Cookie Composites bungee cord that serves two purposes: 1) very convenient for pulling the bungee cord on and off the closing lid 2) helps to keep the bungee cord on top the lid (less possibility of the cord "rolling" off the cover if hit by a riser...)

STEP 1) Locate strap with a "stiched loop" end (see photo). I used a dog collar end and cut off the metal clasp,

STEP 2) Cut strap to desired grip length (above loop and stich)

STEP 3) Remove retaining knot on one end of bungee cord inside box.

STEP 4) Slip bungee through loop of strap

STEP 5) Re-attach (re-knot) bungee cord to box (remember to put washer back through cord)

STEP 6) Cut male/female sections of velcro to strap width and height

STEP 7) Apply velcro to strap and helmet (line-up velcro on strap for placement of velcro on helmet)

STEP 8) Use strap to pull bungee on/off cover

STEP 9 ) SKYDIVE

STEP 10) Have Jason incorporate some variation of this design on his next production run (it REALLY does work well for pulling on/off the bungee cord and also adds a little more security for keeping the cord in the groove on the lid and "locked" in-place.