kallend

DVD burning software question

I have 2 DVD burning programs, that each came bundled with hardware (One's a Roxio, and I don't recall the other). Anyhow, both prefer .AVI files as input. One won't take .VOBs at all, the other will but then decodes and re-encodes them, generally making them significantly larger than they started out

My Premiere has a plug in that makes very small VOBs (but Premiere doesn't burn disks).

SO - can anyone recommend a cheap (aka freeware) DVD burner program that just takes the VOBs without spending an hour recoding them to be bigger than before.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I wish I could give you an answer about something free... but I use Nero Burning rom to make my dvds. Its cheap and will burn dvd structure.

You just have to create the disc structure yourself.

There are some listed on http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/ that can do it, but I will evade recomendation because I have only used nero.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

My Premiere has a plug in that makes very small VOBs (but Premiere doesn't burn disks).

Actually, Premier does burn discs. It does not do nice DVD authoring with menu’s etc. but it burns simple discs jut fine.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Actually, Premier does burn discs. It does not do nice DVD authoring with menu’s etc. but it burns simple discs jut fine.

Maybe it depends on the version. My 6.5 came with a bundled burner called Sonic DVD-it LE, which is crummy. Not actually a part of Premiere. If there's any other burner on the disk, they kept very quiet about it!

Which version of premiere are you using.. Both 6.5 and pro burn discs...

File - export - export to Disc ....

Also in the Video settings de-select interlaced and select progressive frames if you want to play the DVD on a tv.

-Oli
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Also in the Video settings de-select interlaced and select progressive frames if you want to play the DVD on a tv.

-Oli

There's no "export to disk" option in the "export" menu on my Premiere 6.5. Is it a plug-in or upgrade, maybe?

-Oli

There's no "export to disk" option in the "export" menu on my Premiere 6.5. Is it a plug-in or upgrade, maybe?

Mine doesn't have it either. I figured out how to do it with Nero, though.

:)Quade correct me if i'm wrong..:)
brok3n you said,

isn't all NTSC video, aka... never the same color, interlaced? So why would you need to output in progressive scan??
matt

NTSC is interlaced. If it ain't interlaced, it ain't NTSC.

That said I don't know enough about Premiere to speak definitively on its export settings and I don't know enough about brok3n's DVD authoring software to know about that either. Maybe there's some flukey thing that needs to happen there -- I don't know.

Generally speaking, if your source material was and will be NTSC then deinterlacing makes no sense whatsoever.

Most Adobe product is sophisticated enough to internally do things the best way. For instance, After Effects deinterlaces fields automatically for effects works and then puts everthing back together again seamlessly. I can't imagine that Premiere would require something like outputting deinterlaced fields for file prep of DVDs.

Maybe it had something to do with brok3n's DVD authoring software?

I dunno.

The way the world ought to work is from your editing software you hit a button marked "Create DVD" or something to that effect and the only thing you have to worry about from that point forward is making menus and stuff like that. All the techno crapola ought to just take care of itself in the background.

The bundled stuff that comes with Macs (iMovie & iDVD) does just that.

I'll admit Apple's DVD Studio Pro is -much- more complex, but it's also much more flexible and designed for professional DVD authoring with all the bells and whistles. It's totally inappropraite for a consumer level product, but even at that you -still- don't do anything special to the output files from say . . . Final Cut Pro . . . other than mpeg2 compress them, which is almost automatic.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, I bought Nero and it seems to be wonderful!
I even used it to replace the horrid music on the Perris bigway DVD ( hi Quade :)
but...

Has anyone succeeded in downloading the Nerovision templates nve2content.exe from Nero's ftp site? I've tried a dozen times to no avail.

PS not that I would EVER consider ripping a copy protected DVD, but ShrinkDVD is very impressive.

This might be a little long, but here we go…..

What is the difference between interlaced and progressive video?

People often state that NTSC is 29.97 frames per second and PAL is 25 frames per second. However, both of these formats are interlaced, and so these numbers only describe the amount of data, not the visible output framerate. Interlaced video is actually a sequence of fields. A field is half of the scanlines of a full image, either all of the even scanlines (0, 2, 4, ...) or the odd scanlines (1, 3, 5, ...) of potentially an individual and unique image. Therefore, it is better to say that NTSC is 59.94 fields per second, and PAL is 50 fields per second.

One way to think about interlaced video is to picture a camera that captures at 59.94 frames per second, but only stores half of the scanlines from each frame, and switches between storing the even scanlines to storing the odd scanlines. I find this analogy very helpful when thinking about motion in interlaced video sequences.
Interlacing is a very effective form of compression. The human eye is less sensitive to high frequency motion. Consider a spinning bycicle wheel: at sufficient speeds your eye cannot distinguish the individual spokes. With interlaced video, if you rapidly switch between seeing the even scanlines and seeing the odd scanlines, the image will appear whole. Interlacing uses this to achieve 59.94fps video in the bandwidth of a 29.97fps sequence.

Progresive video, the opposite of interlaced video, is when every frame contains all of its scanlines. It's called progressive because the image progresses all the way from the first scanline to the last scanline without skipping any.

What does it mean to deinterlace video?

Deinterlacing is the process taking a stream of interlaced frames and converting it to a stream of progressive frames. Ideally, each field becomes its own frame of video, so an interlaced NTSC clip at 29.97 frames per second stream becomes a 59.94 frame per second progressive. Since each field is only half the scanlines of a full frame, interpolation must be used to form the missing scanlines. There are various methods of doing the interpolation, ranging from simply doubling scanlines to motion-adaptive methods.

In many computing applications, deinterlacing is part of a recompression process, for example, converting a DVD of music videos in interlaced MPEG2 format to a progressive MPEG4 stream. For these applications, an output framerate of 59.94fps or 50fps is too high. Instead, most deinterlacer filters convert every interlaced frame to one single progressive frame, effectively halving the framerate of the content.

Why do I need to deinterlace? My TV does fine without!

The main reason for deinterlacing is framerate conversion. Televisions are locked to the refresh rate of the input; every field of video that arrives is shown for exactly one refresh on the television. A viewer will see equal amounts of the even- and odd-scanline fields, and so the missing information turns into slightly annoying flicker on detail and sharp edges.
In the computing world, the video card controls the refresh rate of the display, and software has no control over its exact timing. Monitors also run at refresh rates incompatible with video rates of 50hz or 59.94hz; they run at 70hz, 75hz, 80hz, or even the annoyingly-close-to-59.94hz rate of 60hz. Because of this, linearly interpolated fields won't be shown for exactly equal amounts of time by the video card: the deinterlaced output will wave between favouring top fields to favouring bottom fields. This causes the image to 'bob' up and down, with small detail bouncing in and out of two distored images.

To compensate for this effect, deinterlacing algorithms try and make every image presented to the monitor look as close as possible to a complete frame, that way, if the frame is shown for too long, it won't look out of place.

The other reason for deinterlacing is of course to improve clarity and reduce flicker. For NTSC content, most people don't notice interlaced flicker artifacts as much as they notice chroma artifacts due to the composite nature of the signal (use S-Video or component wherever possible!). Of course, using a deinterlacer can help improve clarity and stability of the picture even if your output is hardware synchronized with the input.

However, nothing can be done about some problems in smoothness (or temporal aliasing), displaying 59.94fps video on a 75hz monitor will never be as smooth as on a 59.94hz display being driven by the signal.

-Oli
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I did think that it was possible with Premiere 6.5, I could be wrong, but certianly with Premiere Pro, there is a option "Export to DVD" once selected all you have to so is sit back and wait.

-Oli

I even used it to replace the horrid music on the Perris bigway DVD ( hi Quade :)
but...

Has anyone succeeded in downloading the Nerovision templates nve2content.exe from Nero's ftp site? I've tried a dozen times to no avail.

PS not that I would EVER consider ripping a copy protected DVD, but ShrinkDVD is very impressive.

The Nero FTP is very flaky. You have to try to get things a few times. You can also try changing the number in the URL. it should be something like ftp4.nero.com or something and if you change the 4 to like 1-7(?) you might get better results.

ShrinkDVD is cool yep
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

but...

The Nero FTP is very flaky. You have to try to get things a few times. You can also try changing the number in the URL. it should be something like ftp4.nero.com or something and if you change the 4 to like 1-7(?) you might get better results.

ShrinkDVD is cool yep

This link http://www.nero.com/us/27646.html
seems to work ok....

I'll admit Apple's DVD Studio Pro is -much- more complex, but it's also much more flexible and designed for professional DVD authoring with all the bells and whistles. It's totally inappropraite for a consumer level product, but even at that you -still- don't do anything special to the output files from say . . . Final Cut Pro . . . other than mpeg2 compress them, which is almost automatic.

Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 is what I use for menus and DVD authoring. Its seemlessly integrated with Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects. You can even create menus for Encore DVD in After Effects simply by pressing a button. Its a very powerful program especially when used with other Adobe products, and who doesn't use some sort of Adobe product? Especially those that operate on a very professional level. I don't think there are many.

There are programs that I know of that are simply "push a button and its done." They are all pretty lame but do get the job done. Sorry but I can't think of any names at the moment. I'll throw some out there when I think of some. ;)

Isn't it legal to create a 'backup' of movies you own?

Anyway - I found this thread from a search.

Backups of copy protected DVDs:

1 - I have a decent decrypter (pulls the files off)
2 - I have a decent compressor (shrinks selected files to fit to a single 4.7G disc)
3 - I don't have a working burner (I have Roxio and Premier, etc, and they do suck for this, I'd have to pull them into the editor and then burn them out. I just want to take the compressed files and burn directly. But they do play nicely directly from my hard drive....

So, same problem - anything in freeware out there today? Or is Nero still the simple program for it?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Isn't it legal to create a 'backup' of movies you own?
?

It is legal to create a backup copy of a movie that you've licensed. It's not legal to circumvent copy protection on the movie. The topic opens up discussions that are probably best left to Speakers Corner.:D

It is legal to create a backup copy of a movie that you've licensed. It's not legal to circumvent copy protection on the movie. The topic opens up discussions that are probably best left to Speakers Corner.:D

ok, so using the decrypter is the problem. Well, there's still legal ways to do this.

In any case, the question still stands - simple burner, freeware, can just take a directory of .vob and supporting files, and burn to a DVD.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

clonedvd but it will not burn copyright protected material, If the Film or Video is not copyright protected or if its ripped then it usually takes about 1hour to compress and burn to dvd with no noticable loss to the naked eye but there will be a limit to the amount of compression it can do although i have never hit that limit yet

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

clonedvd but it will not burn copyright protected material, If the Film or Video is not copyright protected or if its ripped then it usually takes about 1hour to compress and burn to dvd with no noticable loss to the naked eye but there will be a limit to the amount of compression it can do although i have never hit that limit yet

THANKS
I'll check it out. Since I've already decrypted and compressed the files to under 4.* gigs with other software, then the burner is all that's needed.

Edit: One thing I've learned - When you buy the packages with the computer purchase, you get stripped down versions that then ask if you want to 'buy' the enhanced version (though the "premier" version was advertised the same as the full package).

I bought my HP and chose the Roxio Premiere v9 package. They led me to believe it was the full media package that had everything. Well, it has "everything", just not as good as if we went to the store - it has crappy diluted versions. It has a copier/burner - but only for images, not files, etc etc etc. The "real" version would do what I need handily. Happily, every page offers to link you to where you can purchase the 'upgrade'>:(:S:S

NEVER buy software with the computer.