do6151

HC 40 Footage to CPU

How do i get the footage from the camera onto the computer using USB. I tried using the software that came with the camera and it wants to self edit my footage. I want straight film from my camera to my CPU( Windows XP) without any editing . i will do the editing with adobe premeir. PLease help with the settings and how to do it.

My first recomendation is to go to a computer store and buy a firewire port. $20 if you've got a PC, $50 if you've got a laptop.

Failing that, if you can figure out how to transfer the video to the memory stick, you're halfway there. IIRC, that process is relatively simple, but I can't remember how - check your manual for details. Once the video is on the memory stick you can access it via the normal way over USB.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If you have a USB port on your camera and on the computer....then Windows XP should let you transfer....plug it all in....turn on your camera and use your 'usual' video editing program to transfer
I think MM2 allows a USB transfer( correct me if I am wrong)
That said the quality will be poor...even USB 2 working perfectly wont come anywhere close to the quality and speed of a firewire transfer...
Expect problems/dropped frames/poor quality and a long time ! using USB.
If you have a system where you can upgrade to a Firewaire card....you should.
Alternatively.....take it to a shop and get it transferred onto a Data DVD/VCD.......then you save yrself the hastle......but thats a crap long term solution

I am assuming you mean the Sony DCR-HC40, which if so then firewire is not an option as the camera does not have a firewire port.

Therefore the only options are use the USB port, if you have already installed Premier, then use the capture feature built into the program. I think off the top of my head that once you run Premier press F5 to capture... this should bring up a capture window and if connected you should see the footage from you camera....

If you are not happy with the quality produced by USB then the only other option you have is to purchase a Capture card, that will connect to your camera via the composite AV out connection, this is the connection you use to connect you camera to the TV / Video.

check out this link for some comparisions.
http://www.videoguys.com/vidcap.htm
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I am assuming you mean the Sony DCR-HC40, which if so then firewire is not an option as the camera does not have a firewire port.

You must have gotten a "generic" Sony HC40 cause my Sony DCR-HC40 does have a firewire port. It's between the USB and the AV port. It's the one marked DV.

• Analog To Digital Conversion with Pass-Through Convert and/or record any analog NTSC video source to digital video via the analog inputs. Analog NTSC video can also be passed through the digital Handycam camcorder directly into a PC via the i.LINK® interface in real-time for easy PC editing of your analog footage.
i.LINK is a trademark of Sony, used only to designate that a product contains an IEEE1394 connector. All products with an IEEE1394 connector may not communicate with each other.

IEEE1394 is the same as firewire.