Parky1

DVD recording

What format do you record onto for DVD video. DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W)???
I saw a DVD recorder that is a good price and I want to make sure the DVDs I burn will play on most DVD players.
The player uses DVD+R(W). Its a LITEON and costs £150.00

I've heard alot of good about the +R's compatibility, but even they sometimes fail. Luckily the burner in this laptop is a +/-, so I can just pick a good media and burn away. Internal drives for towers can be found in the +/- format, and the prices are comparable to the single format drives.

Look around.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I've got a burner which support both formats .... anyhow I only use the -R format because of costs and never got a complain that the dvd was not playing

check out the sony burner... I'm quite happy with
http://burnworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=781816/search=dru%2520http:/burnworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1594368/

The most compatable format that I have found is to use DVD+R and to use Lite-ons book type utility to change the book type to dvd-rom. This makes DVD players see the DVD as a DVD-rom just like the ones you buy in stores. This utility can be found online and can be used in any Lite-on DVD recorder or any of the countless other brands they manufacture, including Sony.

I've read that DVD-R are more compatible but I've had better luck with DVD+R. My Sony burner rejects many DVD-R disks (during burning). Also folks have complained that their players won't play DVD-R but +R seems to play fine.

I do 100% +R now.

Just my $ 0.02
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

DVD -R is the most backwards compatible format.

Can you explain???

I posted this before in reference to DVD formats.....maybe this can help explain the difference.

DVD-R is compatible with more DVD players than +R and that's only logical since DVD-R is the original format. The difference is pretty minimal 93% compatibility for DVD-R and 88% for DVD+R. However, those figures refer to commercially made DVD's which in most cases, are created with much nicer equipment than is commonly found on your home PC or editing station.

DVD+R is compatible with the CAV writing technique (Constant Angular Velocity). When burning a disc in CAV mode, the disc maintains a constant rotation speed where as in Zone CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) writing (only method used on DVD-R), the writing of the disc is split into 6 different zones (zones are split from the center and outward on the disc) and each is written at different speeds. When writing is completed for each zone, the writing is suspended momentarily until the disc can reach the new higher rotational speed and then restarted. The recording is then linked to the previous zone using buffer underrun protection. The errors most often occur at the link points between the zones and results in a poorly written disc that many players will not be able to read. The issue isn't necessarily one of compatibility but of quality.

Peace
Z

Action©Sports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DVD -R is the most backwards compatible format.

***Can you explain???

What Zee said.

Skydive Radio