TerryB

Sony DCR-PC330 MiniDV Camcorder

There's allready a couple of threads about this...

Seems like alot of people were comparing the 105 and the 330. Everybody who has the 330 raves about it, but the price difference between the two is significant and...at least from what I've heard here... the video quality really isn't.

There's a new version of the 330 coming out soon that is supposed to be smaller. Check it out on sonystyle.com

Chaps
Carpe diem

Thanks,
Riggerrob, FreeFalle, Chapsta…
Appreciate all the information…Sonystyle.com does show that the PC350 soon to be released to be smaller / 15 oz…Number one priority to me in a MiniDV is the size / weight…
Thanks again,
Terry

I think you'll find that the PC330 is a bit bigger, but not really any heavier than teh PC105.

the video quality (IMHO) is way better on the PC330, though. just capture some stills from PC105 and PC330 video and compare, in fact, if you want I can send you stills like that from a 2-way I did, me wearing my PC105 and my buddy wearing his PC330...

they both use the really very akward A/V d-plug and it's inboard too for left side sidemount - not cool

the PC330's has a bigger lens and optics too - worth having...

cheers
sam

soon to be gone

I have a 330 and love it. Hey EricTheRed, how do you capture footage from tape to memory stick? Are you taking about footage off a memory stick?

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

In play back mode, while the tape is playing, just press the 'photo' button.
You can also create MPEG video on the stick by pushing the round start stop button on the back during playback.
Pretty cool if you just want a quick clip to e-mail or post.
illegible usually

Thanks. One advantage of the 330 is the still resolution (not from video) The camera does a gret job of taking stills. Unfortunately it can't do both stills and video at the same time.

Here is a still photo from my 330 taken at sunset in LP. The photo was taken in pretty low light, and still turned out pretty good. It suffers a bit from squishing it enough to fit here.
illegible usually

Hi Terry,

I use a 330 and can only say good things about it so far - I use Waycool's lenses with it and get great quality from this combination.

Just a quick mention on the 350 which you said you were also considering - as far as I know the guts of these 2 camera's are essentially the same, but all of the input/output connections on the 350 have been moved off the camera onto a docking station to make the camera smaller... which may be just perfect for what you're looking for (i.e. quality of a 330 in a smaller size) - but it could be a real PITA if you wanted to download/upload footage between jumps.

On the 330, the Firewire & USB is on the front, so it's real easy to transfer footage to a laptop/camera whilst hooked up to the helmet. If you're filming for fun you'll most likely be doing this often!

As mentioned in a previous post, the 330's A/V port is on the right (and is the 10-pin s-VHS style) so if you have a left-mounted helmet, downloading to VHS between jumps can become tiresome. If you were determined to leave your camera in the helmet tho', you could panel-mount some standard A/V yellow/red/white sockets on your helmet and leave the PITA 10-pin plug connected!

If as you say the most important thing is size/weight, you might want to consider the new HC series by Sony also, but you'll probably get a very good price on the 330 right now as I don't believe Sony list it on the web any longer.

Cheers - Clarkey

Hi Clarkey
Thanks for the great information...My jumps now and future are/well be, all fun jumps no professional camera flying and generally just weekends, ...If I can do a few jumps go home down them load to my computer that will work...We have a fifteen minute drive back to the airport from where we land so I thought a spare battery/tape would work...
Also appreciate the fyi (Waycool lense)...
Thanks,
Terry

Thanks. One advantage of the 330 is the still resolution (not from video) The camera does a gret job of taking stills. Unfortunately it can't do both stills and video at the same time.

Here is a still photo from my 330 taken at sunset in LP. The photo was taken in pretty low light, and still turned out pretty good. It suffers a bit from squishing it enough to fit here.

What is the original size of the still? My 3.3 mp Digicam shots are 2048x1536. Are the 330's similar?

How does the sharpness, etc. compare to similar 3 mp still cameras? Have you had the opportunity to compare?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

In full size, the 330 captures at 2016 x 1512. EricTheRed mentioned earlier that you can't take photo's whilst filming - you can, but they are taken at the smaller size (640 x 480) and you need to be in a 'standard' mode. You can't do this if you are filming in Widescreen, Progressive, Smooth Interval or when mixing footage with what is on the card already (overlap/mix).

The stills really are pretty good, but I haven't really compared it to any photo's from a 3Mp stills camera though as I use a Digi Rebel, but if you PM me your email, I can send you a couple of samples taken on the 330 at Fine/Large.

I have a 3MP cannon A75. The 330 takes better stills in most conditions. If the exposure is funky and I need manual control, the cannon works better but as a point and shoot (full auto) the 330 wins about 95% of the time.

Edit to add: The pop-up flash on the 330 is kinda a PITA. It is too strong up close and too weak at reasonable flash distances. If you try to tak a flash photo with a Wide angle lens on, it creates a shadow. Basically seems like an afterthought, needless to say it doesn't get used much.
illegible usually

yeah dude, no problem B|

just click the link in my post... :S

and one day (who knows when) once the pictures have been approved, you'll be able to see them :o

I didn't realise it takes that long for pics posted to your personal gallery to be approved, or I would've attached them to the thread... [:/]

cheers
sam

soon to be gone