Jan

royal-lens vs sony for wide angle?

I just picked up a used PC1, want to start using it for FF video. Sony sells a 0.6 for $80, the Royal is a 0.5 for twice the price - is it that much better, or should I look into something different? Is the Sony 0.6 wide enough for small-way FF?

For inside or outside perspective?

Mostly inside, sometimes outside, you know how it goes, sometimes you find yourself outside even if you meant to be inside. :-)

Like I said, I just got this camera, so I want to get a lens that I can get started with. After a hundred jumps or so I'll know exactly what I want.

For my setup, I bought a .38 Keinko for my PC105. Works like a champ.

I have a camera for my own personal enjoyment, for a record of my perspect of dives and to have something to trade video with other FFers.

With that said, I do NOT jump a camera for money or to do outside video, its only for fun, so the .38 is perfect for me, I get to see a lot of the perspect when I'm in close.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You can pic up the sony lens you speek of on e-bay for as little as $20 second hand. I bought a brand new one earlier this year for $30... it arrived with a price sticker saying $80 on it.

Although it says it's a 0.6 it weighs in at about a 0.43 ish depending on what you compare it against. It's certainly much wider than the numbers would suggest.

I just picked up a used PC1, want to start using it for FF video. Sony sells a 0.6 for $80, the Royal is a 0.5 for twice the price - is it that much better, or should I look into something different? Is the Sony 0.6 wide enough for small-way FF?

If you search through old postings, you will find one from LewMonst stating that in her experience, the Sony 0.60 is actually wider than other mfgr's 0.42. I have a Sony 0.60 on a PC5, and I don't think I would want anything wider.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

For inside I use the .3 diamond:

http://www.royal-lens.com/diamond_stealth.htm#diamond

The nice thing about that lens is, if you know you are going to be shooting outside, you can zoom it in a little bit and decrease the field of view...

For outside I use a Kenko .48 (?? I think)..

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

The royal 0.3 works great on my SONY HC40.
www.generationfreefly.com also supplied an adapter ring that fits perfectly.
I prefer the low profile royal lens for hand-mount. Maybe there is less of a risk of snagging if you install a larger SONY lens on a helmet.