andy2

newbie audible altimeter question...

I am having trouble finding out this rather simple question. I understand that you can easily mount an audible altimeter in a secure place on your skydiving helmet. I also understand the warning beeps and sirens are loud enough for you to hear and recognize what it is. Do people skydive with JUST the audible altimeter? I hate looking at the wrist mounted clock type thing. Is it safe to dive with only the audible altimeter? I am only a student now, but could envision myself after I get 20 or 30 jumps NOT wanting the wrist mounted alt. Is this a stupid question???

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

there are some people who jumps only with aad , but with two of them in case if one fails.
not a good idea for a beginer any way, watching a wrist mounted alti puts you in some kinda unstable position, specialy when free flying and you have to learn flying that way too.
plus, as a beginner you need the accuracy of the needle alti once your canopy is opened.
That said, I have no idea of what's the regulation like regarding this issue in your country...
alain

Some people jump without a helmet with the audible attached only to their goggle strap. Most people wouldn't take the chance of losing a piece of gear like that, as goggles sometimes come off.
You can jump without a "clock style" altimeter (some people jump without anything and rely solely on their eyes) but most people use that kind as their primary altimeter and the audible as a back-up.
Being a student, you should probably err on the side of caution and use everything you can.
No question is stupid!:)

One thing you definitely do not want to do is become dependent on your Audible altimeter. Safety being #1, the audible is a great idea as a secondary, but I don't believe it should be your only source of altitude.

If you dislike the clock looking altimeters, look into the digital. Keeping in mind they also run off batteries. I know a few instances where the jumper turned the altimeter off to save battery life and forgot to turn it on before they exited.

My advise would be to stick with the altimeter you have using an audible as a backup, and enjoy.

jumping with 2 AAD's.... wow.. talk about being safe.... B|

But then again, you probably mean AWD's.... :P

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Speaking from my own personal choices and experience . . . my analog hand-mount altimeter is more reliable than my audible. While the mechanism in the analog altimeter is not foolproof, it doesn't use batteries.

I use both with confidence, but I choose not to rely on an audible alone.
Arrive Safely

John

Besides not wanting to rely completely on the Audible Altimeter, It sure is nice to know you altitude under canopy, like say if you want to know how much time you have with your line twists before you better friggin cutaway.;)

"How do you like my groin to your foot style?"

I know a few instances where the jumper turned the altimeter off to save battery life and forgot to turn it on before they exited.

yep, did that: when I realised in freefall, I just turned it on, no worries ;)
alain