kallend

Why Newton?

"Newton" Ring sights do not operate on the Newton's Rings principle, but on the basis of birefringence, a phenomenon that Newton could not explain at all. Birefringence was first explained by Thomas Young.

So why does Newton get the credit? He was a genius anyway, so he doesn't need credit for stuff he didn't do.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Because, if you look closely enough, and use the imagination a bit, John, you can see the resmblence between the effect of light on the ring site to a fig in a tree.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Who cares.

Its a product name, it doesn't really matter.

When I was a student I resented having to learn things that, in my opinion, weren't interesting or had nothing to do with my intended career.

Now, 40 years later, I find it hard to think of a single thing I ever learned that I do not value in some way - even the Latin.

Knowledge IS power.

I find it hard to think of a single thing I ever learned that I do not value in some way - even the Latin.

Knowledge IS power.

I can agree with that, by now through conversations on this site you should realize that I'm definately not someone opposed to learning and gaining knowledge (I'm talking outside of skydiving right now).

Still though, its just a product name. You could argue that Coke isn't Coke any more since cocaine isn't in the forumla now. Still doesn't matter, its still just a product name.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Could you perhaps explain the two phenomena and how they differ?

Newton's Rings are due to interference between light reflected from two surfaces in close proximity, one is usually flat and the other spherical. The rings are then centered on the point of contact or closest approach between the surfaces and do not move with the observer's eye. If you could make a sight using this phenomenon it would be useless anyway, because of that fact.

Ring sights work due to interference between polarized light beams travelling at different speeds (and therefore with different wavelength) through a birefringent material (a stretched polymer, or a crystal of something like calcite). These rings are centered on the observer's eye, thus keeping the target in the proper place in the sight even if the eye is being jolted around.

Thanks! I can't quite visualize it, though. What other parts go in the sight apart from the birefringent material? Is there a sketch somewhere?

Polarizers on each side of the birefringent element, and 1/4 wave plates in the case of ring (as opposed to cross) sights.