diverds

DVD Recorders...+R or -R

For making tandem videos, should I go with the -R which I've heard has better backward compatibility, or the +R which does not require finialization. I would rather go with the +R to cut down on editing times but I don't want unhappy customers.

Also, can I preload a leader onto the blank DVD's and still do the tandem edit later on the same disc? Can I do this on the same chapter or does it have to be a seperate chapter.

Skydive Radio

I can't remember the answer, but I do know there's been a couple threads about this in the past few months, you might wanna try a quick forum search, you'll probably find your answer.B| Atleast to the -/+r question.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am using the Phillips DVD recorder. I have to finalize my disc, but it does not take long. What I do is make the DVD, then while it is finalizing I take the film out of my camera and load another roll. I then put our logo on the case for the DVD. By the time I have done all this the disc is done, or very close. It only takes about 2-3 minutes for a tandem length video. Also, I dont think finalizing has anything to do with the length of the video. I could be wrong. But it seems like the finalization process is just writing to the disc the neccessary info to make it play in other DVD players. As far as putting a leader on, I dont think you would be able to make it part of the same chapter. But you could make it the first chapter and the DVD should play right through like normal. I will have try this to get a definitive answer though. Hope this helps.

I thought finalizing got the disc ready to play in a DVD player, and once done to either a -R or +R that it couldn't be added to later, ya needed an RW disc for that???

this is true. But as long as you dont finalize the disc you can add things at a later time. Which is why i was saying that I dont think that the header can be on the same chapter as the rest. This is all on DVD "RECORDERS" I do not know about the burners I have not played with those yet. But since burners are for computers you can pretty much do what you want. You are not limited to linear editing with computers. But for making tandem videos, using computers takes too much time. thus we use the recorders.

The short answer to your question (if you are busy like we are)is to start with a dual-format recorder (we use the Sony in Elsinore). Put your leader and labels on a bunch of DVD+RW's. Record your linear edit on just like you would use a VCR. This puts the edit into another chapter so they can skip the intro and go straight to their video. If the customer brings it back because it doesn't work (this will be about 1 in 20), convert it into a DVD-R and finalize it. The finalization takes an extra 6 to 8 minutes. The easy way to convert is to use a DVD player connected to one of the extra inputs on the DVD Recorder. If the -R doesn't work, convert it to a VHS or recommend they go out and get a newer/better DVD player.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I have been looking at the Sony for that reason. But I have also been looking at the Go Video VR4940. It has a DVD -R/-RW recorder and VCR in one so I could do VHS or DVD. It says in it's manual that finalization takes about 2-4 minutes which would'nt bother me too much. Do you think this is streaching the truth? The -R is more attractive to me as well if it really is more backward compatable with home DVD players. Do you find this to be true?

Edited to add URL

Skydive Radio

The short answer to your question (if you are busy like we are)is to start with a dual-format recorder (we use the Sony in Elsinore). Put your leader and labels on a bunch of DVD+RW's. Record your linear edit on just like you would use a VCR. This puts the edit into another chapter so they can skip the intro and go straight to their video.

This can also be done on the Phillips Recorder.

Heres a link for some info

Phillips DVDR75 Recorder

From what I can see the Phillips only records +R/+RW. It supports playback in -R/-RW but not recording. The Sony will record in both formats. Nice feature, but I really like the Go Video Combo unit. It can't record the + format but you have your VCR and DVD recorder in one unit. I wonder if there are any Combo units out there that record DVD's in both formats?

Skydive Radio

The short answer to your question (if you are busy like we are)is to start with a dual-format recorder (we use the Sony in Elsinore). Put your leader and labels on a bunch of DVD+RW's. Record your linear edit on just like you would use a VCR. This puts the edit into another chapter so they can skip the intro and go straight to their video. If the customer brings it back because it doesn't work (this will be about 1 in 20), convert it into a DVD-R and finalize it. The finalization takes an extra 6 to 8 minutes. The easy way to convert is to use a DVD player connected to one of the extra inputs on the DVD Recorder. If the -R doesn't work, convert it to a VHS or recommend they go out and get a newer/better DVD player.

What media do you use? I've run into more problems with people's players being finicky about the -R disc type I give them. (and yeah, these are the $40 players). My Panasonics seem happy with anything, including -RAM, so I don't have a good sanity check.

It's come to my attention that -R's play on most home DVD players. When recording at HQ on the Sony it generally takes about 5 minutes to finalize the disc. I also place leaders onto the disc days before I put the customers video onto it.Also, It is widely known already that most home DVD players will not accept the +/- RW format. Finalizing is also REQUIRED to play a +/-R in a home player

Finalizing is also REQUIRED to play a +/-R in a home player

Hmmm...I think that if the home DVD player supports +R it does not have to be finalized. My understanding is that this is one of the big selling points of the +R format.

Skydive Radio