turtlespeed

My Setup - Opinions please.

Here's my head gear - Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

Bonehead FT Pro
Bone Head D-Box
Brent Cross
Swivel Post
Cam Eye 2
Tounge Switch (Conceptus)
PC 105
Digital Rebel
Stroboframe Quick Release

The Still Bracket I designed and had fabricated out of 1/8" aluminum.
It's fastened to the top with 4 Stainless Steel stove bolts and lock washers(No.10 x 24)
Paint was done by roughing the epoxy finish with 200 grit and painting with Automotive spray paint (in a can)
I don't have a need for a tripod screw in the D-Box(as of yet)

I haven't weighed it yet - so I just don't know.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I like it. Similar to my current set up, except I left the "L" in the fron for veritility sake.

One minor point.

Why have a gap between the box and the still bracket? I have mine bolted together to rduce both posible shake/movement, and remove the gap.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I like it. Similar to my current set up, except I left the "L" in the fron for veritility sake.

One minor point.

Why have a gap between the box and the still bracket? I have mine bolted together to rduce both posible shake/movement, and remove the gap.

Hmmm - I thought about that - I almost did it.

One reason is that you never know . . . with the right pressure the screws could come out of the top, and I would rather lose one than both. I also found that it would be more difficult to position the cameras that way, and there is limited room in the d-box where the mounting screw is.

Also, I had installed the D-Box and it was set before I did the painting - so that the paint job would be the same. So the D-box was all locked into where it was. I then mounted and shimmed the Aluminum bracket for the still to position it right.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I have a .45 lens and tape the still at 24mm for the most part - I am still working that out. A new lense is not likely very near in the future.:P I'll post some when I get my Computer at the DZ up and running on the internet.

I have not seen the still camera mounted on its side like that before. Is this a comon practice? I can see how it is fine on the digital cameras as the image can be rotated back to a "normal" view. But this would cause issues with a film camera right?

Its quite common, I used to have a camera helmet that had a stills mount which could be rotated in freefall.
"I can see how it is fine on the digital cameras as the image can be rotated back to a "normal" view. But this would cause issues with a film camera right?"
Well once the pic is printed it can be rotated manually.......;)B|
Sorry, couldn't resist that.

I guess it all depends on the angle and the subject. Most RW lends itself to landscape oriented shots, whereas a lot of freeflying lends itself to portrait format.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

how are your center of gravity issues with ths setup... as i don't have as a nice helmet or a still camera that weighs anything more than a few onces how is it on your neck with it sitting back like it does... is it pretty centered on your head eventhoughit looks so far back??? i don't have any experiance with top mount other than my pont and shoot still and have been thinking about going to top mount my video but am woried about the difrence in weight distribution vs. the side mount i have now..... or does the helmet make up for it in design???

I like to think that the way I have it mounted would help me from damaging my neck in a hard opening. I tried to center the cameras over the centerline of my spine. There is no notice of any weight in Freefall. I don't know what the physics are, but it makes me feel a little safer.