whatever

safe operating temperatures for Sony camcorders

hi there

my PC 105 and 2KComposites FF2 will be ready to go in the next few weeks and since I'm in Canada, my question is:

what is the safe temperature range to jump this set-up in?
(it's pretty cold here right now, between -6 and -22 degrees Celsius on the ground)

also, I believe I'll have a little space around the camera in the box, will insulating it with something like neoprene (or using one of the camera condoms) make a big difference?

also, since I go back to South Africa every once in a while, what is maximum safe operating temperature?
(one of the DZ's I go to there regularly gets 40+ degrees Celsius in the summer)

thanks

sam

soon to be gone

Just my .02C whatever that's worth but I don't think you'll have any problems with temp ranges. The only thing I have ever had problems with relative to temps was moisture. In winter taking the camera from a warm environment out into the cold will produce a lot of condensation. Too much and it will trip the auto shut off. I had that happen numerous times but mostly just do to the humidity around pull time. A camera condom helps keep the "outside" moisture from getting in but I don't think it would do anything for condensation. All that being said.....it never damaged my camera. I just had to open it up and set it in front of a fan for a little while. Of course....don't leave your tapes out in the sun or in a hot vehicle. ;)

In winter taking the camera from a warm environment out into the cold will produce a lot of condensation.

In fact it is just the other way round. Condensation happens when you take a cold camera back inside a warm and more humid room air. Or in the other way the air up there in 4k is very cold and gradually warms and gets more humid during the jump -> the condensation problem at the pull time.

finflyer

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

I have had problems with cold camera's (got cold at altitude) and in the "warm humid" lower altitude air. You have to think about what I am talking about, and how it applies to your situation. Normally if the ground air is cold (but not freezing) and damp, you won't have a moisture/condensation problem taking to camera to altitude if it can breath. Assuming at altitude, it is freezing, the air should be a dry cold, and if moist air is not trapped in the camera, no problem with moisture, but the cold reduces the effective charge of the battery. If the temp is 0 degrees F and windchill is -40 F, the cold wind on the battery will not drot its temp below 0F, but it will get there faster than in still air - so steps to shield the battery to reduce the speed it cools will be helpful. I can't think of a way to reduce or stop warm moist air from getting into the camera at the bottom of the jump, there is an airpressure difference which a camera condem can't stop.

If you are planning on videoing a tandem landing, have a cloth ready to wipe the lens!

If it is below freezing on the ground, I think the air will be dry, so the only problem is cold batteries. You may be able to make a "winter battery" by gluing an insulator on it, and keeping it inside your jumpsuit or under your arm pit until you are ready to exit, then quickly installing it and jumping. Also pick the warmer spot inside the plane for the ride to altitude. Your body will appriciate that also!

As for hot climates, keep the camera out of the direct sun for prolong periods and keep it off unless you need to turn it on. At altitude and for the jump, there should not be a temperture problem. Be careful about taking the camera from a nice cool air conditioned room to outside with warm moist air. A thought - have the camera in a zip lock bag when you take it outside, that way, it gets warm before the moist air hits it. Just do not bring a hot camera from moist air inside (cool) and keep it in a zip lock bag.

Blue Skies,
Ralf

In fact it is just the other way round. Condensation happens when you take a cold camera back inside a warm and more humid room air. Or in the other way the air up there in 4k is very cold and gradually warms and gets more humid during the jump -> the condensation problem at the pull time.

Condensation can happen in any kind of significant temperature change.

If you take a cold camera into a warm environment, humidity from the warm air will condense onto the cold surface.

However I've had exactly the opposite problem - on the ground the unit warms to ambient temperature and humidity, and as the plane climbs the metal in the camera cools, and the warm air inside the camera condenses inside the camera. The camera shuts down on jumprun with a moisture error. Adding a camera condom seems to have solved the problem.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Think of it this way: if you have been outside in -20 degree weather the glass lenses in your spectacles will cool to -20. When you walk into a warm, humid building, your cold glasses will condense atmospheric moisture and fog up. If your glasses are severely chilled, moisture will actually freeze onto your lenses for a few minutes.
So the worst you can do is chill a lens, then expose it to warm, moist air.

So the worst you can do is chill a lens, then expose it to warm, moist air.

I understand that, but I've also found the opposite to be true. Given a camera at ground ambient temperature, the glass and metal frame cool faster then the air inside, which can also result in moisture problems.

Or maybe something else is going on. All I can tell you is that I get moisture errors while on jumprun when its cold at altitude. A camera condom has helped.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The operating temperatures are in your manual. I believe the bottom end is 5 degrees F.

Don't start cryin if you exceed this cold limit and your camera shuts down. And eventually, permanately. The camera motors only move in a few different speeds (2 in rec, 3 in rewind, 4 in playback). Imagine jumping in your car and hitting the gas to 3000 rpm immediately in the freezing cold.

Can you do it? Yup

Good idea? Probably not

Will the car last as long if you do this every time? No way in hell

You may find an example of a jumper doing this here and there and getting away with it, but basing your decision on specific examples in not a good way to go, and most people exaggerate. A full D-Box will probably help a little, but in the end the chill will bite, and you have to ask if a $1000 peice of machinery is worth the $40 you got to jump it. (it may be if it already paid for itself a few times over!!)

My rule of thumb (and in no way shape or form is it neccessary to make it your rule of thumb) is never bring the camera up if the temp is under 50 Degrees F on the ground.

My cameras tend to last a long time.