diablopilot

<rant> How it was.

Everyday I hear for people who want to start jumping with a camera. (note these are not camera flyers, it takes time, discipline, and desire to do that)

And at least once a week I get someone who doesn't like what I have to say, or wants to whine because the can't get it their way. (Skydiving is not like Burger King)

Once upon a time, about 5 years ago, camera flyers (real ones, not people wearing cameras in their normal everyday skydives) had to feakin' make everything they had! The number of camera ready helmets in the industry was next to none. The accessories like D-boxes, Cam Eye II's, and Conceptus Tongue switches were unheard of.

So the next time you hear *someone* whining about their custom fit D-box and helmet isn't the right color (when they didn't get more specific than "make it Blue") show them an old motorcycle helmet, or pro-tec, and ask them if they can do better.

Or when they throw a fit cause the Cam-Eye 2 doesn't come out of the box ready to work with the piece of crap JVC digital 8 camcorder they bought, point them to the nearest Radio Shack.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for all these advancements, but I don't complain when things are not "my way". I figure out a solution. I design and build or have built (Thanks Bonehead) the piece or part I need, and don't whine when I have to pay for it.

Ya'll have a nice day now, ya' hear?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Times are changing. People are more picky about their equipment because they can be. Manufacturers offer more and more options every year, and someone on the dropzone is always going to want the latest, coolest, most tricked out thing available.

Personally, I'm with you. I could really care less if my jumpsuit has patches on the knee, or my camera helmet gets scratched up. Function is all that really matters to me. However, to some people it is really important for their stuff to look just right. Whatever. That doesn't mean you have to think that way. I understand that it can be annoying to listen to someone whine because the color is not what they wanted etc., but if you choose to sell gear then you better get used to it cause it's not gonna go away.

Skydive Radio

Working with stupid members of the public is harder.

I am a waiter, kind of what I have to deal with. I HATE working as a waiter for the public!!! Its always my fault and most of the ppl there treat me like I am lower then they are, not like I want to be a waiter but its the best I can do right now. Stupid ppl/ignorant ppl make me mad. To make it worse I wait tables at the airport which = asshole rich ppl or pissed off regular folk. ARG...

but if you choose to sell gear then you better get used to it cause it's not gonna go away.

True enough, and I accept that. Been doing this for a while, and believe me I know what level of service is needed to succeed. I am more than happy to help a novice who has the desire and passion to learn, select the most apropriate gear for their needs. And remember this is the skydiving industry where small profits are constantly being shrunk by trunk dealers who don't care.

It's those that ignore your advice, when you suggest a Sony camera may be worth the extra $40 because this industry suports them. Or the one that tells you they are not gonna spend the extra on a D-Box when an "L" bracket will do, after you've advised them the wide angle lens that you told them was too big (but was cheaper than the more compact model). Then the come complain the very next weekend because their riser took off the lens and the front half of their brand new $900 camera.

I wanted to harp on the idea that there is a percentage of people that refuse to accept that you cannot always have it your way.

You wouldn't expect to be able to go to a car dealership and ask a Honda salesman for a 2 ton pick up truck in lime green, and pay $1000 for it would you?

There is a rule in the universe that I like to quote,
"You can pick two of the following: getting something fast, having it be high quality, and it being inexpensive."(thanks rigging65)

I speak not about those that want an item in their custom color, but those that say "green", will not qualify it when asked, and then don't want the shade that arrives.

Or the person that complains because Conceptus does not make a switch ready to use with their Pentax, or Cannon 10D.

Go make it yourself, like the pioneers of camera flying did.

Not getting what you ordered is not good. I've had it happen to me, but throwing a fit cause the skydiving industry won't bow to your desires is childish.

Oh yeah, we're talking about skydiviers here....:P

PS this is directed to no one in particular, so don't take it personal. (or if you do, don't complain to me):D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've felt this way so often. My first set up was a Sony Hi-8 (floor model because I couldn't afford a new one), a pro-tec with sheet metal and more gaffers tape than a 3-m convention, and a football helmet chin strap. All of which I made in my dorm room over the sink for a work bench, including the indicator light, which took about 30 revisions to actually f-ing work. The sight was a sawed off piece of 1-inch pvc. Ah, the good old days.

What's funny is that there is someone reading my and your story, going, "I remember strapping an f-ing VCR to my chest..." or "I had to reach up and actually push the shutter release button with my finger in freefall..."

Ha.

But really all it takes is a couple grand, one call to the store, and viola...instant camera man.....BAH!

Note: of course I enjoy the modern convenience of the flat-top pro with two d-boxes, and two sony mini-dv cameras, a cam-eye, a real sight, etc. BUT I PAID MY DUES...(in my best grandpa Simpson voice).

Mike

There is a rule in the universe that I like to quote,
"You can pick two of the following: getting something fast, having it be high quality, and it being inexpensive."(thanks rigging65)

Old engineering saying;

Good, cheap, fast. Pick two.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Whattaya mean they won't install the dBox on the helmet? I have to do it myself?!? ;)

Yes, you do...and it's hell, just hell.

;)

(kidding)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Go make it yourself, like the pioneers of camera flying did.

One of the first cameraflyers I met in my young skydiving days was my friend and mentor Andrey Veselov. Here is a picture of his own home-made helmet. Beautiful isn't it!

Andrey's helmet

His web page is even more impressive. I love his artistic impression in each photograph.

Sky Photo

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

JP, i love you man, but you wrong. I definately think your ranting about your customers bitchy habits but 5 years ago...

...there was ready to mount helmets, from the cheapys paralite, system 3, to midrange, stealth, headhunter (those BIG ASS enclosed topmounts to stop hi8 flutter LOL), the mindwarp, to the expensive ones, batrac just came out, the flat top pro...

...it was plug and play, i remember around that time i switched from a cam eye1 to a cam eye 2, the difference, button, sure you had to turn the camera on and off and had to load the cam eye 1 with AAA batts and mount the light sensor to the rec light, but it was gucci compared to 5 years before that...

...bite switches went from splicing a bite switch to something concocted from radio shack, or a finger clicker, but conceptus gucci'd them right up, making it easier, and i was one of the first people to switch, becuase it was easier and nicer. even so, conceptus was around 5 years ago.

...the helmets got nicer and stronger, and can protect a camera very well, the cameras are better, the switches are cleaner and easier to operate, with less maintence. the cameras are are treated so much better, no wind to worry about, no tape all over the place, shit...gaffers had an account in my name ;)

...it's so easy to use and set up that everyone has the opportunity to film their buddies without the headaches of radio shack personal hounding them for their phone numbers.

...as i type i have a table full of brand new equipment setting up my 3rd complete camera setup in my skydiving career, and this one is by far the cleanest, sharpest, most effective setup i ever had and the cost from my last setup is less than a 1/3..thats nutz, thats progress.

and skydiving is like burger king, we all greazy!!!