skydiverek

Wings reserve Pilot Chute launch

I watched the "pclaunch.avi" movies located at ftp://ftp.skydivingmovies.com/public/cutaways/. It looks like the bottom reserve flap does not open and limits the full launch potential of the reserve PC (it looks like the reserve PC is suddenly stopped by that flap holding the reserve bridle). Any comments? Could it be dangerous in a real emergency?

Well, that was me and my rig. That did surprise me as well, but I had absolutely no trouble extracting the rest of the bridle (only a lb or so of resistance). I personally think that the PC launched enough to get into clean air. And if the main was actually cutaway, I would have no doubt that the PC would have launched to its full potential.

Also, I am curious to see how other rigs perform in this same situation. I know someone else posted a video of a reserve PC launch on a Voodoo1, but IIRC the main was out of the container.

If anyone else can post a video of a reserve PC launch with the main in the container, please do. Or if you can provide some insight or comments.

what happens there is the rigger may of gotten a bit too much bridle under the side flaps. i know it says to put about a inch on either side under the flaps, i don't put that much under that flaps (if any at all). after i fired mine the first time, i changed it a bit. just made the bridle folds a bit shorter, easy to fix.

later

I'm with Skygod7777 on this one. I make a pyramid with my s-folds under the midflap, so the last few are maybe a half inch under. I also put a little more than a meter under the pc cap. Everytime I pop it, it shoots across the room...

I did find one rig without the required meter under the pop top, it did not launch very well at all with the bridle catching in the midflap. Still, it would have deployed, but it wouldn't have cleared the burble as quickly as one packed correctly.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when