Apple mac to Windows file compatability

Hi - i have just finised a Final Cut Pro project on my Powerbook - i have Mac 0SX 10.2.6.

I have exported it as a QT file, but when i burnt it onto a DVD-R and tried to play it on a Windows laptop which has QT installed, it wont even open the DVD - i get an error message when i double click the CD drive saying "device inacessible - incorrect function".

Anyone got a clue as to what its saying/doing? Someone said i need to make a "hybrid" file type of the QT movie before burning it onto DVD. Is this right? Is it a Windows issue not being able to read the DVD-R?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Hi - i have just finised a Final Cut Pro project on my Powerbook - i have Mac 0SX 10.2.6.

I have exported it as a QT file, but when i burnt it onto a DVD-R and tried to play it on a Windows laptop which has QT installed, it wont even open the DVD - i get an error message when i double click the CD drive saying "device inacessible - incorrect function".

Anyone got a clue as to what its saying/doing? Someone said i need to make a "hybrid" file type of the QT movie before burning it onto DVD. Is this right? Is it a Windows issue not being able to read the DVD-R?

Stupid question: are you trying to read the DVD in a CD drive or in a DVD drive? Ie can the laptop handle other DVD's?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Quicktime files are Quicktime files and can be read by Quicktime software on either Macs or Windows machines.

I think one possibility is what Saskia asked you about above. I think that if the DVD was burned as a data disk it should be readable on a DVD-ROM equipped computer of either persuasion. I haven't tested my data DVD-Rs on PCs so have had no experiences good or bad.

Can you network them together, transfer the file and then try opening it? That would tell you if it was a file problem or a drive problem.

I seem to recall burning CDs as "hybrids" using Toast so that they could be played on either platform.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Created and burned a DVD earlier this year on my Mac using iMovie and the Quicktime conversion into iDVD. It played just great on my brother-in-law's PC. Went through the connected projector onto a wide screen fantastic too! Family LOVED it! :^)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

This may not be the problem, but just my $.02.
some machines have a hard time reading, and sometimes burning, with DVD+R or DVD-R media. Some are built to burn one or the other, but not always both types. My brother found out the hard way after he bought a pack of the wrong type for his burner.

matt

Stupid question: are you trying to read the DVD in a CD drive or in a DVD drive? Ie can the laptop handle other DVD's?

hi not a stupid question, i should have added that in my question.

The PC has a DVD drive, but as one other respondent said, it might have trouble playing DVD-R burned discs...

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts