freefalle

orbiting

My videos are starting to come along nicely. My exits are alot better and fairly clean. The probelm Im noticing now is that Im orbiting around the subjects Im videoing. I was talking to Ray Dutch about it and he said one way to help stop it is to look past the video and try to line up with something on the ground.
Anybody else have a problem with orbiting? how did you fix it? Thanks

hi ther yep its a comon prob that you can fix the first thing is to think 4 way fly a set slot with your back to the sun look at the subject only to get the shadow position, then move, now you fly your slot.

depending on what you want to video you are either in front and down a little low (tandem) over the top looking through and at the ground (remember fly your slot its like fs just no hands to hold)

or in front on level (aff ect).

the trick i use is not so much flying the camera or your head but your body has to make the moves smoothly. if you put your body were you need to be then hold that position you will find it a lot easyer
try to fucos on somthing beyond the subject to get a good perspective.
blue sky sand and sun.

An orbit is usually the result of extra forward motion. As you move forward, you turn to continue facing your subject, and now you're orbiting. When you find yourself in an orbit (this is where looking past your subject at a fixed point will help), bring your legs in, and you should stop. The suit you are using for camera may have a different "neutral" position than you are used to, and when you think you are in the neutral postion, your suit may be generating forward drive. Good luck.

Are we talking tandems?

You're wings may not be perfectly symetrical, so you have to drop the opposite knee a little. Rotating counter-clockwise, drop a little left knee, pull in a little left wing.

With RW, I try to align myself with the road pattern on the ground ASAP after the exit. Ideally this is along the line of flight.

Hi,

I had the same problem. What I found is that I was flying the camera, instead of my body. What I did is a couple of jumps without the camera, exit the plane as if you are filming and then asap line up with something underneath you, like a road.
Try out your wings e.a. and see how you move.

I've done a couple of those, and it did the trick for me! The first couple of jumps I was orbiting so fast the video almost made people dizzy! Now it starts to look like something :P

Anyways, that did the trick for me so I would say give it a shot!

Iwan

when I started flying wingsuits I had about 160 jumps. many wingsuits later I still feel this is a valid tip, pay for a professional cameraflyer to follow you on a video dive. just as video helps an AFF student, it will help you.
you will be able to see what your issues are. if it is a wingsuit you are flying maybe your swoop cords are not exact, causing a bit of orbiting. it could be you need booties or not? but a third person perspective with a camera tight on you might be more valuable then paying a guys slot/and or case of beer.
Jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

I had trouble with this. It is farly common. If your suit is off your body should naturaly compansate. You problem is probly you are flying the subject and not "your slot". Look throught the subject to a fixed point and use it as your heading. Use your periferal vision tho keep the subject in frame. Once you get use to it you will be able to look at differant things without changing your camera or your position.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

Hmmm, yup, had this problem when I first started to jump a cam suit. It was a cheap 'n cheerful second hand job and not too long back I bought a new one, made to my measurements. It made all the difference - I always felt as if the suit was flying me, now the tables had turned and I could control things as I wanted, so I reckon the fit of the suit is a pretty important factor, for me at least.

For filming FS, look though the formation and aim to keep the landscape as solid as possible - the more you film, the less conscious effort it would take. On an early cam jump I remember orbiting perfectly with a spinning 4-way - I felt ill watching the video afterwards!

Happy filming,

Rigga