blueskyvan

Coolpix 5000

I've read through a lot of the posts about digital cameras. I'd really love to get something like a Canon 10d but money is an issue. Therefore, I'm considering the Nikon Coolpix 5000. It seems to be good quality and cheap enough to fit in my budget. I'm curious to hear from people that are currently using that particular camera and what pitfalls they've run into. Can you fire off pictures in fairly quick succession or do you find that even during freefall you're waiting for the camera to write to the card? Any insights would be extremely helpful.

Blue Skies,
Van

Van - I would also like to hear about the "remote triggering" - is it equipped to do this?
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

The Coolpix 5000 is definitely tried and proven for skydiving. Remote control, including shutter release and shutter release is available from the DigiSnap line of remote controllers from Harbortronics.

Frame rate is not nearly that of the 10D, but still greater than 1/second. The intelligent buffer of the 990 and higher make a huge difference.

I must say, however, I think the 10D is a better investment. Years ago, when I first started shooting digital the price gap between the CoolPix line and cameras like the D30 was much bigger than the gap we now see with the 10D. The price of the Coolpix 5000 (which does not need a wide adapter), plus the added cost of a DigiSnap 2200 or 2500 is a good bit less than a 10D plus a good lens. The difference in versatility and usability would make me consider the 10D, very seriously.

For now, though, my CoolPix5000 is helping pay the bills.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

What do you think of using a 5700 for jumping?
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Have you seen the 5400 yet? It's just about to ship and looks like it's an improved 5000. 3 frames per second, up to 7 or 8 frame buffer, better lens, etc. etc. I think I'll save my pennies for this one :)

The main reason that I'd choose the 5000 over the 5700 is the 5700 only goes to a 35mm equivalent. The 5000 goes a bit wider to a 28mm equivalent.

I haven't tested the 5700 for compatibility with the Harbortronics DigiSnap, either, so I can't say how well they go together, yet.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.