freekflyguy

Delicate Request

Guys

I will be attending my BPA (British Parachute Assn) Pre Advanced Instructors course in August.

I am preparing a lecture on incident procedures which will contain video of incidents.

I have some footage of UK incidents, but would rather use stuff that doesn't feature British jumper in case I upset people who now/knew those involved.

Does anyone have any footage that I could use.

I can assure you that the material will be treated with care and respect.

Please feel free to email me personally.

Thanks in advance Buzz.

I thought people generally destroyed video of fatalities? Is it common practice to air these videos? That seems wrong to me. [:/]

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

It seems odd that people would destroy footage of a fatality. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand that it's a very very tender subject. That said, I think it would be beneficial for others to actually see the footage and learn from it. Then the lesson is really absorbed. And I'm sure the deceased would be happy to know that people were learning from their mistakes. If there isn't much if anything to learn from the footage, then detroy if you wish. This is only my oppinion, I could be wrong...wouldn't suprise me. Blue skies all

Unfortunately, today's legal climate encourages professional videographers to erase video of accidents.

If that video ever lands in the lap of prosecuting attornies - or even worse on the evening news - it can ruin the reputation of our industry.

Like the idiot AFF student who landed in power lines at Perris. Those lines are at least a half mile from the runway - and you have to be a true idiot oot land on them - but that idiot managed to land on them and he made it onto America's Stupidest Videos.

I am not after video of fatalities rather v serious incidents.

The footage will not be aired to the general public, rather to a small number of candidates on an instructors course. These are the very people who will be expected to educate new jumpers.

I have footage I can use but it involves UK jumpers and I would rather not use it in the forum I will be presenting the lecture in.

A good friend of mine killed himself in front of his fiance on a demo. She is happy for the footage to be used to educate, I however would rather not use footage of my friend.

I also have some great footage of me with a severely dislocated ankle and broken fibula. I told my mate to go fetch his camera so I had it for just this eventuality.

Unfortunately I didnt manage to film my landing that would have been exactly what im looking for.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

^^^ I dont think you'd have a problem finding femur breaks or the like. From what I gather, most people that have video of their accidents and are healed and jumping again, are pretty proud of them and like showing them off. :S

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

many years ago, when undergoing lifeguard training I saw film of actual drownings, in progress, and it made a BIG impression on me. I think I would tentatively consider the educational value of skydives gone bad as worthwhile. I would restrict them to bone fide instructional and research situations, and probably not for beginners.

I wouldn't say that a person who destroyed such videos was wrong though.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Im all whith you Casch.
I dont see any reasson to destroy video that migth could save even a broken leg.If it should ruin our sport(which io dont belive such could),then be it.We all know which risk we take when we jump,but if we can make that risk even smaller then lets do it.

By the way the idiot that landed in the powerlines werent as stupied as the one who made it public to national.:S

Andy, i dont think any are proud off have harmed them self or others,but some times its a way to get distance to what happened.In my case i think its way fun i Made this "blair wich project"in that time i were alone at the place.Its called black humor;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber