SSkydiver

Merit 170 vs Sabre2 150

I currently jump a Merit 170 and was looking to jump a Sabre2 150. Anyone famailiar with the Merit knows its an elliptical hybrid. The Merit 170 has pretty quick turns and very short toggle input to get those turns started. I currently jump a Javelin J-2 that can fit the Merit due to it being a hybrid. The only thing about the Merit is the nut crunching openings. I have heard and was told that downsizing to a Sabre2 150 i would have almost identical flight performance as if i was still flying the Merit but i would lose the hard opening but get same performance. Can anyone validate this? Any comments would be helpful

[cough]hornet[cough]

Hey, for everyone who likes the Hornet - the new Pilot from Aerodyne is available now. I haven't flown one yet (demos are on the way!) but I've heard it's very close to the same canopy - main difference will be that the fabric is more slippery out of the bag.

You can get one from a certain gear dealer for $1189.15, any size, until May 1st...

No advertising in the forums

Not advertising. If I'd said "Call me at Square One" - that would be advertising.

There are other dealers out there selling the same canopy at the same price. You can find a list of them by clicking on "distributor locator" here.

My friend had very hard openings on his Merit 190. He had pockets built onto his slider and he loves it now. He even uses it for camera jumps since the change. Evenstill, he has jumped Sabre2s and says you will get softer openings on the Sabre2.
--Jennifer

My friend had very hard openings on his Merit 190. He had pockets built onto his slider and he loves it now. He even uses it for camera jumps since the change. Evenstill, he has jumped Sabre2s and says you will get softer openings on the Sabre2.
--Jennifer

My Merit does open pretty hard but managable. What do you mean by "pockets" on the slider. I'd love anything that makes this thing open softer.

It's an extension of your slider with two to three pockets, usually on the leading edge. Or you can try a lip going all the way around the slider. It basically inflates and catches air so that air doesn't get to the nose as quickly during opening. Ask your rigger to build you one. If you want specific measurements, PM me.
--Jennifer
P.S. Do you know Rasta Mike Brown (packer)? He used to work there and then moved to Oregon to grace us with his packing skills.:)