Monsterchute

How do you like my Helmetsetup?

Hi,

i made my own Helmet mount and would like to hear a few opinions from the pro´s. I allready showed this setup in an early stage to a cameraguy and rigger at my dropzone, but would still like some more opinions especially about safety.

As you can see i made a cover over the whole camera that should reduce the number of snag points to a minimum. It is made of glasfiber and polyester.
It is mounted on the Helmet (Bonehead) with screws that fit into the metal threads. These are put into the helmet itself with glasfiber and polyester.
The srew size metric M5. There are 3 srews for the cover and 3 for the L-Bracket. The L-Bracket is made of alumnimum of course. The wole setup is removable because i don't want to jump with camera all the time and i am not buying a second bonehead for none camera jumps.

I can turn the camera (Sony PC2E) on and press rec through the hole in the cover you can see in helmhinten.jpg . I can see the rec light with a mirror mounted on my alti through the triangular hole in the front, but i am not confident that will work good in a crowded plane.
As an alterenative a have experimented with a light sensor that gets the light form the rec light and turns on a LED that i can mount anywhere i want. Much cheaper than a cam eye.

I don't have a cutaway jet, do i need one with a setup like that?
I am going to get a chincup next week, but i will still see how a can mount that.

The only real disadvantage is that i have to remove 3 srews to get to my camera to make adjustments or watch the tape. Will be kind of anoying, but i think i will be far more anoyed with lines entagled on my helmet.
I haven't done any camera jumps so far, but i am planing to start this year, is this a good beginner setup?

Thanks in advance.

helmvorne.jpg

helmgewinde.jpg

helmhinten.jpg

helmoben.jpg

helmseite.jpg

helmritze.jpg

helmseite2.jpg

helkmohne.jpg

Fairly clean, nice work on mounting the screw posts. I would raise the question of how are you going to make sighting adjustments to the camera if you need to?

And a cutaway option should always be looked at since you never can be too worried about something catching.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

once you really start to get annoyed by having so much to do to get the camera out to watch.. Maybe at the top were you have the two screws you can put a swing hinge (like on cabinet doors) so that you only have one screw that keeps the box down... That is how my RAWA is set up and you could do that easily as well..

As a new camera flyer and having a fixed box like this remember to always look with your head.. YOu will start to see after watching you videos later where you need to work on... That was one of my problems from going to a L-bracket to a fixed box.. So remember to LOOK with your head..

But man I think that it looks good bro.. If you keep yourself jumping all day and have no time to even look at what your video'n then you'll never need to take it out until the end of the day....

@PhreeZone
The L-Bracket is mounted on 3 screws, but i have made 6 holes in the bracket so far. That way i can change between two positions, one with the camera pointing exactly in front of me and the other with a few degrees up. If i find my optimal position in between both holes i will make an elongated hole. I can also adjust the horizontal arangement of the picture by thightening the upper two screws more or less than the one on the lower end.

@
cheneyneel
Good idea with the swing hinge, but i am afraid that will require big adjustments to the cover i allready made. I will go to a Hardware store and see what types of hinges they offer. Lets see how long it takes before i get anoyed.

@everyone else
Thanks.