Rdutch

Cleaning inside of camera (HELP)

HELP! My pc-5 has a problem, It works great on the ground but in the air it shuts off 50% of the time. It will work good for a week straight, and then all of a sudden it starts getting Moisture alert's and shuts down. It only happens when there is a tape in it and its recording, or playing. Also when it does work I can induce the alert by playing and scanning backwords. I think there is a bad sensor or maybe something that is making it read moisture. Ive put the camera in a bag with Silica to make sure there is no moisture and it still does it.
I also took the whole camera apart, to check for moisture, and some of the connectors were dirty, I was wondering if it would be ok to use Quick Drying Electrical Cleaner on the camera? would this hurt the head? Or maybe blow the camera out with canned air from the camera shop? Any Ideas on how I can fix the problem without sending it to SONY and spending another $275 fixing it. I sent it in once and they said there wasnt anything wrong with it, and just cleaned it. Any idea's will be much appreciated.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

A cheap and easy way to clean contacts that need to touch that are dirty is the simple pencil eraser. It works wonders at removing build up. Don't know if that applies to your situation or not, but I hope it helps.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just curious... are you using the same tape each time?? or have you tried different ones/new ones.
I know at work some types (3M vs. maxell vs. Fuji vs. Sony) of tapes foul certain cameras heads faster and/or show warnings faster then others. That and the snow/cold and other inclemit weather we have here doesn't help much either. >:(>:(
matt

For what it's worth, I have also heard that changing tape brands can cause the heads to get dirty and start acting up. The sources that I have come across says that Sony tapes will not leave build up as quickly as other brands, somthing about the coatings they use. In reference to one of the other posts, not that most could not figure out this out, but DON'T use the pencil eraser on the tape heads themselves.

One other thing in addition to what Craig said. I've been taught to "unpack" new tapes in another deck before putting them in your camera. As the theory goes any excess particals that may be caught up in the tape will fall out in the deck w/o fouling the heads in your camera if you fast forward it all the way to the end and then rewind it again.
From what I understand it works on the tape we use at work b/c the VTRs don't engage the play/record heads while in FF or RW. and something about the way the tape threads laying horizontally or flat so the excess crap just falls off and into the bottom of the machine rather then vertically into the heads of the camera.
But I guess not everbody has a spare deck laying around for that purpose.... just my $.02

All I use is sony tape's. I also bought a head cleaner tape. And I dont rerecord, I always use clean tape. Ive heard about fast forwarding my tapes and rewinding them before using them, but I thought what I heard was, that the pressure sensor on the head was extra sensitive, and running your tape forward and back tightens it up a little. None of this work's. And the camera only messes up in the plane or usually just when I climb out, I think that's why sony couldn't find a problem with it, it works great on the ground. Thank's

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!