danwayland

Horror stories

Anybody ever hear any stories about somebody actually getting sued for using copyrighted music?

I have occasionally heard people mention that a camera flyer doing this could get nailed for copyright infringement, but every dropzone I've ever been to uses whatever music they want on their tandem vids. I also have several boogie tapes that I've purchased which have the same music on them that I hear on the radio. However, I've never heard of anyone actually encountering a problem from the music industry.

I know it's wrong, blah blah blah, but has anybody ever heard of somebody actually getting busted? I think the music industry has much bigger fish to fry right now.
--
Dan Wayland
http://www.danwayland.com

Yes it's illegal, however the volume of any one camera flyers business is not anywhere near what would be attractive for the music industry to sue. You could also make the argument that you would sell the video even without music because you are selling the jump not the music but it might not hold up in court.
They try to stop mass produced videos thats where they could actually make money.

josh

Most camera fliers are independent contractors to the DZ. This means the record companies would have to sue the camera flyer himself, not the DZ.

Camera fliers are usually broke, don't have a whole lot of assets, so are poor targets for lawsuits.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I haven't heard of any cases involving the tandem video/1-off sort being sued. I do know it has happened to people selling boogie videos and sports videos. It's usually a slap-on-the-wrist for small stuff, but others have gotten fat fines, and had to recall their product from vendors.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Back in the mid 80's? whenever Van Halens Jump came out a couple of guys in (I think Dallas) made a really good music video using the song.

At the time (Freak Brothers convention) I thought $15 was worth more as a jump.:(

I'm sorry I passed it up because these 2 guys where load by Van Halens lawyers to stop and desist.

Oh well, I also should have bought Norm Kents calendar sometime around '86, too!

Regrets is what you get when you get older ;)

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166