freefalle

camera suits

How many people use them, are they benifical? Im just getting ready to start doing video Im going to take it slow, learn to fly the video camera first and then add the still. Im probably going to be taking mostly RW video and a little free fly. would a camera suit be a good idea? Im 6'3 and about 220 lbs. Many of the people I jump with are alot smaller than I am, I can control my fall rate pretty well but some times its tough with smaller folks. How hard is it to learn to fly a camera suit. Ive already talked to one of the video guys at the DX and he said hed give me some coaching jumps. Im considering putting the helmet in the closet and just jumping the cam suit for a while unitl I get comfortable with it. I know I ask alot of questions but this is something I really want to do well. I appreicate the advise.

Camera suits are a very beneficial asset for shooting videos. They give the flyer much more control "over the top" while you're shooting formations, and much more range in shooting tandems.

It all comes down to: How do you fly, what are you going to shoot, and what do you want out of video work.
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

Camera suits are just like any thing else. It takes time to figure them out. I would hightly recomend getting one. Your thoughts on just jumping the suit by its self is a very good one.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

The camera suit give amazing vertical maneuverability. You can cannonball down to a formation, open up the wings and STOP right above them.

Some really good cameraflyers don't use them. I don't think either Cajones or Lewmonst use one.

I love mine. It lets you stay still over a RW way, and allows you to hang under a tandem, and give a quick popup shot of the drogue.

You can also zoom all over the place shooting special occasion jumps, when you just want to get high-motion exciting video. Check out Cornholio's 100th jump on his site. Me and Jim were both wearing our camera suits, and the spliced video is pretty cool.

Some folks can get close to the vertical range a suit provides by flying their bodies really well, but I need the crutch of the wings.

JP

In my camera suit, I have bunched up and hit speeds in excess of 150 mph - the jump with the freefall colision where I tried to keep up with an unconscious jumper. With my wings fully inflated, I'm able to slow down to 99MPH.

I could probably go both faster and slower in my suit, if I tried harder.

The camera suit gives me an incredible range. More importantly though, is that it allows me to change speeds (specifically slowing down) much more quickly.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I definitely use camera suits. Lew hasn't had a real need for one, yet - but she's getting one. It goes back to "dress for success." I didn't use my camera wing much in Eloy, 'cause most of the good RW already had a camera flyer on the load. My camera wing gives me incredible range. It also allows me to fly in a formation burble confidently. I fly a Da'Kine two piece that is multi-layered in all the right places for the majority of my camera simply because it is my most expressive configuration. By that, I mean I can fly in any orientation without thinking about my wing symmetry. My flight becomes second or third in my mind, as I can think about light and framing without distractions. The word on the street is that Da'Kine is closing its doors. If that happens, I'll most likely switch to Firefly. I've looked closely at some of their two and three piece (pants, jacket, wing-jacket) suits - they seem to have excellent construction, and top-notch customer service. This, and the innovation, of Da'Kine rags has been a big asset in the suits that I choose to fly in. Bottom line - Dress for success.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.