XDV

Anyone jump still camera with a flash

Thks quade that's what I tought because the color are so bright, I was planning to mount a flash on my helmet but I like to ask a bit before doing something doesn't worth the price and time of installation.

any advice on brand, or spec to check while buy a flash, I'm jumping an OES Rebel 200

thks

Actually, I don't have any specific recommendations for flash as I don't normally have much of a need and haven't done it a lot.

I know one camera flyer that just uses the flash built into the camera. Crappy cycle times, kinda hit-n-miss and eats batteries like crazy.

I know another well known camera flyer that has a separate flash hooked into a Quantum brick. Much better on the cycle time, much more reliable and obviously doesn't affect the battery life of the camera at all, but he wears the brick on his body and has yet another cable going up to his helmet in order to do this. I just don't like that concept, but I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. This camera flyer, O.B. (aka Craig O'Brien), maybe you've seen about a jillion of his pictures in Parachutist, he takes the most incredible balloon and helicopter shots of anyone that I know. Obviously, flash is very helpful in those two specific regimes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I just make some phone call, and I will go to see in store. The guy told me I can get a external flash with rechergeable pack that will be able to do the 24 exposure in 45 sec. without problem. The extension cable and the flash kit is almost 500$ canadian

and no need to have external power pack everything built in the flash so everything on the helmet, that is more safe in case of cutaway

do yourself a huge favor and once you get it cut the cable down by taking out a part in the middle somewhere. Then buy the appropriate quick connectors from Radio Shack and reattach. You'll have two different lengths in the same cord if you buy two pairs of connectors.B|
A camera flyer I know would rap all the excess cord around his video mount. It made me cringe... even before I knew how bad snag hazards where.B|
matt

So there is people that jump and use the built in flash. I use a Rebel 2000 and I was afraid to try using the flash, because I wasn't if it's strong enough. I have the feeling it will be ripped off the camera with the wind. Don't you think?

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

Renaud, on the N70 the bracket that lifts the flash up you can put a toothpick through it to hold it all the way open. I think the problem with them is they blow shut, so you have to brace the little popup flash in the open position or it can chatter.

That's funny I didn't thought about that, like I said I was more afraid that the popup flash break with the wind. I guess I will try to find a way to reinforce it and prevent it to blow shut. :)Thanks

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

I use the nikon SB28 flash and use the PC sync cable. it is a very thin short cable so you don't need the giant coil cable that come with some of the hot shoe mounts. It makes it all manual, but if you're flashing a formation you usually don't need any thing auto as sometimes you need lots of power.
I have many jumps with a flash and this is the only one I've used in the last 5 years. It is great for a consumer type flash.-Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

This shot was done withe the D60 and Nikon SB28 flash& PC sync cable. Batteries in the flash. It makes you wait for the photo, & sometimes the photo is at the wrong time, but with some practice you can get away with only having X amount of flashes per jump. I used to use a bantam external battery pack, then decided to just go with fresh batteries nearly each time up.

My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

flash sunset.jpg

is that flash a big separate job with a synch cable?

Yes. Its big, but not that big.

Are the batteries in it, or are you mounting up a separate battery pack.

Right now I'm just using the internal batteries, but I am looking at externals to see if it gives me better recycle times.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

So there is people that jump and use the built in flash. I use a Rebel 2000 and I was afraid to try using the flash, because I wasn't if it's strong enough. I have the feeling it will be ripped off the camera with the wind. Don't you think?

Interesting. I didnt think the rebel 2000 had a fill flash option? Auto flash yes, but not fill. I could be wrong...

"I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

yes, it's possible just got all the info this weekend, you need the flash and an extension cord, and I can send you the info about the flash.

it can do also the 24 exposure in the 40 second without problem with full charge batt (only 4 bat AA)

it cost 450$ canadian for the kit