Zlew

collapse slider on vid?

I noticed something when I was in eloy watching the multitudes of video's being played. In many of the videos right after openning you see the video head look up and stow his slider. I couldn't figure out why I found this so funny until i started to pay more attention to my own vid. I never look when I pull my kill lines to collapse my slider. I"m looking around and clearing my sky while I do it. It kind of bothered me because it seems like many of the vids showed people looking up for the first several seconds of their canopy ride. What do you guys do? Do you have to look up to get your slider taken care of? It is just natural to me that while i reach up for my risers durring openning, as soon as the slider is down I am clearing my air and my hands just find the kill lines...never look...and i think i like it that way. I don't look up when it's time to get my toggles either..

Z

I used to catch myself looking up at my slider after checking for traffic and turing towards the DZ only to find it was already collapsed. And no it was not packed that way;). I had not even realized I had reached up and done it.

As soon as I figure out where the canopy is going to launch me right after inflation look out for others that might be opening around me and those that had off heading openings. Then I point my parachute where I want to go and clear the airspace infront of me for the next couple of seconds, long enough to collapse my slider.
-So, how hard is the ground?!

I saw vid of a camera guy whose triathalon was packed with them stowed.....
Not a fun place to be

Z

As a matter of fact I used to have a Triathlon and got slammed very hard, were talkin dazed and had bloody knuckles. The "did I forget to uncollapse the slider when I repacked" did go through my head. I could never figure out what the cause was since I didn't know, even after being slammed, if I still reached up and collapsed it.[:/]

Part of post opening procedures is to check canopy and canopy control. It never hurts to look up and see if you have a good canopy above you after it has deployed. A lot of the steps have become unconscious for most of us and is a matter of habit now.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

OT: I cannot fathom packing a collapsed slider. I mean, you quarter it, right ? If it is still collapsed, there is no physical way to quarter it, right ? Unless you don't touch your slider when you pack, I can't see how this is possible.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump