JYorkster

Anyone tried the SkyElph?

I'm looking for a small still camera to add to my video helmet. The SkyElph seems to fit the bill. Anyone out there tried it? If so, what did you think?

Good photos? Easy to use? Any problems with bottom loading AND bottom mount?

Basically, do you think it's worth it.

Thanks for all input.
Rock

I've got one. Does a good job.

I've used mine to shoot some scrambles meets, some friends tandems, and just general goofing off, all with good results. You don't have all of the 'options' as with a 35mm, but on sunny days with decent lighting, the photos come out good.

The toughest thing for me is getting it aimed right. I jump a Sidewinder 02, with the elph mounted on the 'trap door'. Having to get a roll of film developed to see that you need to shim it up and to the left gets expensive. If you top mount your camera you won't run into this problem, since you can look through the viewfinder to aim it.

For my purposes, just using it for 'fun', I think it's great. I don't use it on my paying tandem customers - I'll stick to strict video with them until *I* get more comfortable with the whole stills aspect.

Blue Skies!
-Tommy

I used an elph that I we modified locally for hundreds of tandems. The camera worked great. The pictures look great, just don't expect to blow them up to poster size. I think it is the best option if you want a basic camera and do not want to do anything fancy with your photos. The quality is much better than the other APS cameras that have been converted to use a remote release that are out there. The one problem that you might run into is if you want to take pics from inside a formation. You can not get a wide angle lens for the elph. For tandems the angle was great. Some of the pics I took with the elph are being used by the dropzone as advertisements. The APS film will cost you about $.50 more a roll but it is a lot faster to load than 35mm.