skygod7777

still cameras

what's up

i'm looking to get a still camera for jumping with, and don't really have a clue what to look for. i have heard some things about the nikon n-70, is this a good camera.

what would you recomend??? and why??

is it worth considering digital??? i have seen some of those, but i think they are quite pricey, is this right??

thanks

Check out Canon's Rebel line. I've got a Rebel X with a 22-55mm lense. I bought it because of it's lightweight, built-in jack for a remote switch, and most importantly, PRICE. About $130 by the time it reached me.

I chose to stick with Canon because I have an EOS 650 with 2 lenses. That way I need not invest more jump money for lense.
My other ride is the relative wind.

For a degital camera....pretty expensive a canon D-60 is about 2100$ add it an other 500$ for a micro drive 1gig and a lense that is a bit expensive

but it could be a bit expensive if you not working with that camera

The microdrive is not the best choice for skydiving. It uses "air-bearings" which can be fubared by rapid pressure changes. Get some compact flash media. They're available up to 1GB, and more expensive, but worth it for skydiving.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

There are a number of threads on still camera recommendations, so I won't go into depth, here. I'm guessing we're still on digital stills.

The jury is still out on the Minolta, but the Coolpix 885, 990, 995, and 5000 have all been used with good to very good success. High speed CF media (Lexar 12X and up) has given some gains in speed to the 990, 995, and 5000 camera frame rates. The 5000, with the Harbortronics remote release, and 128MB media is about idea for most of us (tandem/student video/stills). On the higher end, the D30 and D60 have performed exceptionally well, with stunning results from the D60. Coupled with a good web-based storefront for selling your stills, digital is definitely the long-term solution.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

You also do not need to get such a big one either... a 256MB CF card in a D60 will hold ~97 Large/Fine images... a 1G card will hold almost 400 pictures, more than most will need in one shooting session.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke