cpoxon

How to make a 0.3X wide angle lens for $45

You could pay $175 dollars for a 0.3X lens from Max Cohn at Generation Freefly, or a bit cheaper ($140) if you import direct from Japan (although shipping and duty may eat up the saving).

A cheaper version is available from Way Cool Industries in Australia for US$64 (A$115 - last time I calculated that exchange rate in July it equated to US $52!) plus another $11 for shipping.

I made one of the cheap ones myself. The lens is a Raynox 0.3X clip-on semi-fisheye windeangle lens. I got mine in the UK from Jessops

It's a clip-on lens and not a very strong one at that. I broke the clips off, removed the spring, glued the clips back in with Araldite to block light coming in from the side that would have occured if the clips were left off, and glued a 37-37mm spacer ring to the lens. I also got one of these from Jessops. This ring will fit PC-100, 110, 115, 120 cameras.

If you have a PC-7, 10, 1, 3, 5, 9, PC-101, you'll need a 30mm-37mm step-up ring

Obviously, the quality isn't going to be as good as the $200 lens, but at the price, you can't complain.

Total cost £28.98 (US$45.18 at today's exchange rate). If you are not in the UK and can source these lenses cheaply then this is a good option.

That Japanese-made Diamond, low-profile 0.3 wide angle lens is also available from www.flyers-pit.com for an introductory price of US$140.
I intend to a buy as soon as I figure out what diameter I need.

That website is not working for me.

You say: www.flyers-pit.com?
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

After looking at the WayCool site, they selling the RedEye lense and not the diamond .3x anymore.

So I guess my question now is is the one at flyers-pit.com the same diamond lense ?

If so, I'm thinking why pay the $159 from Royal when you get the same for $120 at flyers-pit.com ??

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

After looking at the WayCool site, they selling the RedEye lense and not the diamond .3x anymore.

So I guess my question now is is the one at flyers-pit.com the same diamond lense ?

The rumors I've heard are that the Diamond, flyers-pit, and Red Eye lenses are all the same rebranded lens from a Japanese manufacturer.

The rumors I've heard are that the Diamond, flyers-pit, and Red Eye lenses are all the same rebranded lens from a Japanese manufacturer.

Just to confirm this. I got a an e-mail a couple weeks ago from someone at flyers-pit.com (that also sells the .3 lens) who told me the same thing.

Hi Matt,

This lens is exactly the same with Diamond 0.3.
We and Max(the person who sells Diamond 0.3 lens) get these lens from the
same manufacturer.
The difference is, whether there is a name(diamond .3) on the lens or not.

Best regards,

Flyers-pit.com

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump