Emmie

advice on buying first camera

I'm thinking about buying a camera this winter. At this point I knnow very little about different kinds of cameras, and what I should get. I will very begin with a used camera. Are there any guidelines that I should follow? ANy advice would be great.
Thanks

Roger that on the recommended brand.........
But unless you need to jump it next week........
take a little time read up on the many many models out there,,,and DO go to a retail place and check them out....the TRV models work for top mounting and the PC for sidemount,, ( the choice is yours, based on what you plan to video,,,right???)
Look at features, look especially for digital PLAYBACK
features,,,, like flash,,luminesence, still.... The
More recent trv's.... the 8 the 11 the 20 the 30etc... offer them,, and they are absolutely ESSENTIAL for making great looking ,,on the spot tandem videos, for your students....The PC 100 and some other PC 's may also have these options.... but if you get mini-dv you need to get it with these playback options.....
Check to see if the camera has analog INPUT......
meaning it will cable into any vcr , or TV audio/video jacks,,, and let you record in VTR mode,,, right onto a mini dv tape...I have many,, many, skydives which I videoed on 8 mm tapes.... the analog input lets me
load that footage onto the mini tapes,,, If I care to...
So go and check out the local Circuit City,, or Best Buy.. or whatever A/V store may be near you.... ask some questions,, pick up and hold in your hands,,,,,
a few different cameras,, factor in how you plan to mount it,,, and what will be involved in changing tapes.....Some models will require that you remiove the camera from the helmet,,(though this is NOT a big deal)...some not.... Remember,,,, you don't HAVE to buy it where you learned about it....(unless you want to)...you can always determine the right model and then search......... and get a good price,,,,,anywhere.....One thing you WILL get with Sony........good VALUE......;)