wlie

35mm film scanners

Since the last few posts about still cameras transpired towards digital, I thought I'd like to hear your experience or opinions about film scanners.

I'd like a dedicated scanner like the UMAX Powerlook 180 if it was OS X compatible.:( So, the HP 4570c with the transperancy adapter is more likely.

I'm currently scanning photos using a UMAX Astra 1200s on my eMac with VueScan (scanner app) and a Microtech FireSCSI adapter.
My other ride is the relative wind.

You really need a dedicated film scanner for quality results. Flatbed scanners with transparency adaptors just don't cut it for magazine work.

I have a Nikon Coolscan IV ED that I used to use a quite a bit. Gave great results, but was kinda slow for high-quality scans. Gathering dust right now since I've switched to digital. Anybody wanna buy it?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Gathering dust right now since I've switched to digital. Anybody wanna buy it?

Would you consider perma-loaning it to me?:) I would build a Quade alter and drink beer to pay homage.;)
My other ride is the relative wind.

Paul,

How about scanning slides? My dad took literally thousands of slides during his life and I've been think about digitizing those for a while now. Are there tools out there that will make this quick and easy? Would prefer not to sit there and feed it slide by slide!
Safe swoops
Sangiro

From my research into this question (I also have a TON of 'real' film that I wanted to digitize) you have a couple of options.
1> there are film/slide scanners that can automate the task and that do a great job. (Lots of $$$)
2>There are film/slide scanners that you load each slide and scan that do a great job (lots of time and from about $500)
3>Have someone else do it. Take all your film to a competent professional that has the right equipment and pay them to go at it.

I recommend looking into option #3 cuz for me it was cheaper and a lot quicker than doing it myself (could you spend a sunny saturday sitting at a computer looking at the screen when you could be looking at the DZ from 13K?)

E

The Coolscan IV ED is a GREAT scanner for slides, but unfortunately, it doesn't have an automatic feeder for mounted ones.

When I was shooting film, I'd have the lab keep the slides unmounted and I'd feed them in six at a time -- walk away for about 30 minutes -- and "presto" that six would be done. Did I mention it's kinda slow? Absolutely incredible scans but -- slow.

Scanning an archive of thousands of slides, would be either a full time job and/or a huge labor of love/life time hobby.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'll have to try to find the specifics... but about 4-5 years ago at my college newspaper I ordered a Nikon Coolscan (can't remember the model I, II, or III:S) and in the "availible accessories" list there was a set up that would hold something like 25 slides at a timeB| so they could be bulk processed. I never did order the accessory though because we only used the negs.... I'll see what I can find out. matt