konradptr

Anyone have problems with Premiere???

Premiere 5 was as buggy as a bunk room mattress, It was superceded by 6.0 fairly quickly. Premiere 6 also brought with it support for OHCI, which enables just about any firewire card to be used with Premiere without speciliased codecs.

Swapping codecs mid project is a very bad idea, you will get comprssion loss.

I always run backups to minidv, they are cheaper than HD space and DVDr.....

If you are having problem with Premiere etc go to www.computervideo.net, and I'm sure the self help boards there will prove useful.

Good luck, happy cutting....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

If I can treak my system, that would be ideal. Let me see what I can throw out there... Dell Inspiron 8200, P4/1.6, 256RAM, 32mb video, 40gb hd, and I have Premiere 6.0, getting 6.5 again, Avid 3.5, and Studio 7. I can't figure out the first thing with Avid, and love Premiere- here are the problems... When I export to tape, everything is great for about 30-45 seconds, and then tehre is about one second of either blue screen inserted, pixelation, freezing, gray screen, etc. I thought taht this was part of the chipset problem mentioned earlier, but if I can tweak this, that would be great.

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

There are some speed enhancing tweaks you can do...
Make sure your export settings are the same as your capture settings, and I mean exactly the same.
Make sure your video is stored to a different drive from your applications. Partition if necessary.
Install something like 'enditall' search the web for it, it shuts down non essential stuff.
Shut down any and all other applications that are not required for editing, this includes things like task manager, virus protection, any backup progs, etc etc etc.
If you have 'findfast' installed remove or disable it, its insidious and seriously slows things down.
Only run the editing software, absolutely nothing else. No surfing, etc
Make sure your hard drive can sustain at least 5mb/sec transfer rates during read and write....Ruj some sort of speed measuring software, again there are loads you can download, try Winbench.
Check out the link I posted earlier, check out their speed tips, and go to their self help areas, its a good site, and if they can't help you there, I would be surprised...
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

So the problems continue. I can monkey around and edit everything that I want, and I think it looks about as good as I want. Same export problems in Premiere, inserts 1-2 second long screens of blue and gray, about every 50 seconds... Not very professional looking. So I figured I would save it as a .avi file, complete, and then try to send it out... Same problem... So now that I have the .avi file, I tried sending it out in Pinnacle Studio, thinking that Premiere sucks with this chipset or whatever, and didn't have any more luck than with Premiere. So now I am pointing the finger at the piece of crap Dell 8200 that I just bought, since it causes problems with everything else... Why can't this be easy??? Any ideas???

I've been having a lot of goofy problems with Premiere lately. First, it would be going through the timeline like it should in preview, and then it would just randomly race through until the end from a random place, at about 4x faster than it should. Then, I finished my video, and tried to export it to tape, and it just freaks out every minute or so, and inserts a bunch of random pixels or a gray or blue screen for those ~2 seconds... WTF, anyone have any ideas, or is this just a part of Premiere? PS I am doing this on a P4, 256k RAM etc, maybe more ram, but it seems like I've done ok on the other computer that is far less powerful...

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I thought I was the only one with this crazy problem. What I found that seem to help it a bunch was a few things:

A) Disk space - if you don't have plenty of it this could be a problem

B) defrag - i found that my disk was fragmented a good bit, a good defrag helped a bunch

I ended up buying an external firewire 80 Gig drive and haven't had a problem, all of this editing was done on my dell laptop w/firewire built in.

Cool, we'll try the defrag idea. In fact, it's working in the background. Its a new computer, only 2-3 weeks old, but who knows. I have 40GB inside, only using ~15GB, and a Firewire 120GB. I put all the DV files in the Firewire HD, and then when I made up the final .avi, I put that on my internal drive and tried it from there. Problem is that with only one Firewire port, I can either plug the camera in, or the external HD. Another thing that is worth noting is that it seemed to goof up at around the same time using both programs...

I have another computer coming, identical to this one to see if the problem is with the computer. Simply, how do I go about putting a partition in the internal hard drive. Unfortunately, I barely know what partitioning a HD is, so that isn't helping, but would I have to format it and stuff, or can I just assign a couple (3-5GB) to put the finished .avi into for the export?

Thanks again,

It probably won't help you, but I can assure you that this 'piece of crap' works just fine. Did a one hour video of the Herc-Boogie recently without any problems. Let us know whether defraging helped.

Regarding the external firewire drive: If it has two ports, you should be able to daisy-chain the cam. I'm not sure about the data rate though and maybe this would be something you'd rather try after you have sorted out your other little problem...

Good Luck,
Klaus
My Logbook

>Another thing that is worth noting is that it seemed >to goof up at around the same time using both >programs...

Hmmm, does it only do this thing once and then you flip put and shut it off (I say that because that's what I did for months)? Or, is there a few different places it happens? If it's only the one spot, maybe you could try capturing some other video, put somethng together and try and export it-make sure that all your vid is captured in same res and all that crap. Basically, your capture settings should match your export settings.

Ok, now here's something really simple that you can try immediately. Stick your avi in your timeline same as when you were trying to export, make sure your camera is hooked up, and on vtr. Go to settings and disable preview in preview window (so you only preview to cam. Now, just play your vid inside the timeline... Does it mess up still, in the same place??? Ok, if it does, let it run for the whole video. Now do it again... if it screws up again, grab the scrub line and just drag it from the start of the clip until the end (dont actually render scrub, just drag it so the replay is really quick). Now, try playing from the beginning again.... It may sound silly, but try it out...it has worked for me before. Lemme know how you make out.
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

"Simply, how do I go about putting a partition in the internal hard drive. "

Buy a bit of software called Partition Magic, or similar from your local PC store, it will do everything for you.
Basically it splits up your HD into two or more virtual drives. Then you keep all your apps in one partition, and all the other data on other partitions.

Another tip, don't store your projects, preview files (premiere makes temp preview AVIs in the background) in the same drive as your applications, make sure your preferences are set to keep the preview files in the same directory as your project file. All graphics, titles etc should be kept here as well, ie in a different directory from the aplications. This might solve some of your probs.
Other than that have you made sure EVERYTHING that you don't absolutely need to edit is shut down?

I made two commercial movies with a system based on a 266 processor, with only 17 gig storage spread across three HDs, so your system should be flying.

Are your HDS runing fast enough, have you checked their read write speeds, you can download all sorts of bench marking software, your HDS must be capable of a minimum 5mb/s tranfer during read and write ops.
--------------------

Cool, we'll try the defrag idea. In fact, it's working in the background. Its a new computer, only 2-3 weeks old, but who knows. I have 40GB inside, only using ~15GB, and a Firewire 120GB. I put all the DV files in the Firewire HD, and then when I made up the final .avi, I put that on my internal drive and tried it from there. Problem is that with only one Firewire port, I can either plug the camera in, or the external HD. Another thing that is worth noting is that it seemed to goof up at around the same time using both programs...

I have another computer coming, identical to this one to see if the problem is with the computer. Simply, how do I go about putting a partition in the internal hard drive. Unfortunately, I barely know what partitioning a HD is, so that isn't helping, but would I have to format it and stuff, or can I just assign a couple (3-5GB) to put the finished .avi into for the export?

Thanks again,

Oh some other thoughts that I found help out... turn the DV camera off when rendering, only have it running when you're dumping the video back to tape. (i used to have the camera on so that I could see the preview on the camera, etc...) *thinking* other than that, having sufficent resources (memory & disk & processor) are the only things I can think of.. but i had the exact same problem on my laptop.

i have my new hotrod coming next week -- pent 4 2.53, 512 ram, ati radeon 9700, pioneer dvd burner, sound blaster audigy platinum.. woo hoo!! :)

So it appears that after all the frustration and help offered, the problem is that Dell computers SUCK!!! The computer I am on is the third warranty replacement, after 4 replacement hard drives, a replacement monitor, a replacement motherboard, a replacement CD-R, and about 15 times of reformatting and reinstalling Windows. This computer works, which I think is just by chance, but it works... Thanks to all that gave me suggestions and advice, but in my case, it is just that Dell sucks so bad that I cannot begin to put into words how much they suck....

That is a really old forum. dvDoctor fell out of favor because there was too much BS. People giving bad advise and not asking good questions. Try the videoguys website. It's not as bad about bad advise from posters. The guys that maintain it have seen/built a lot of succesful editing stations.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.